What are my options for my corner plot

I have a corner plot in image below. My garden to the side is larger than the width of my house. 

I would like to consider options including building a new property ... building a double storey side extension (the width of the driveway where you can the MIni cooper parked)  ... building a double storey side extension + have a garage aswell (as far as the second fence panel from the house).  

What ever I do, and however I approach the coucncil - I do not want to shoot myself in the foot as to what can be done. 

IF I can build a house  / bungalow in the side garden then I my aim is to gain an asset. IF i Can't, then I want to make my house a forever home. 

image.thumb.jpeg.b630942d0f9c1f3f8523ece6733a67e3.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.dbd7ecfb63914d9f247e3045258f1ba0.jpeg

image.thumb.png.77246624ac08807bc7d751a63d3a4d4d.png

I very strongly doubt you will get permission for a house in that area due to the building line of houses to the rear.

You may get permission for an extension, not sure if it would be covered under permitted development.

That is very similar to a house I used to own.

I first got permission to build a detached garage in the side garden some way from the house, and in front of the building line of the houses to the rear.  It only got planning on appeal because the appeal inspector determined that some nearby houses in the village were built right up to the road, and he consluded allowing my garage in front of the building line provided a visual link between the houses set back, and those right up to the road.

With garage built, there was then no problem getting permission for a 2 storey side extension between the house and the garage.

1 hour ago, ProDave said:

That is very similar to a house I used to own.

I first got permission to build a detached garage in the side garden some way from the house, and in front of the building line of the houses to the rear.  It only got planning on appeal because the appeal inspector determined that some nearby houses in the village were built right up to the road, and he consluded allowing my garage in front of the building line provided a visual link between the houses set back, and those right up to the road.

With garage built, there was then no problem getting permission for a 2 storey side extension between the house and the garage.

This is the reason for my original post - because i obviously need to be tactical in the way I approach this. I thought the same, single storey, then double ... or garage first then extension. I don't want to go to them for them to say NO and then be left with nothing that can be done about it. 

Unfort nothing else is breaking this building line with houses to rear until the house styles change completely a good 200m + away. Its a busy A road. I can hide the garage completely by trees though - and i still have half the garden reamining so its not even visible on the side road. I could also block the rear house line using trees.. but I am not sure this kind of thing helps?

It is not always clear cut.  Looking at the aerial picture it looks like the house on the other end of your row has extended to the side almost to the boundary.  So you may argue that is a precedent?   The trees around your plot would kill any argument about an extension restricting visibility.

I did briefly consider trying for a new dwelling in the house I previously had, but it would have been a small house and both would have had tiny gardens, and parking would be awkward sharing the same entrance.  And there was a covenant issue so I decided just to extend.

5 minutes ago, ProDave said:

It is not always clear cut.  Looking at the aerial picture it looks like the house on the other end of your row has extended to the side almost to the boundary.  So you may argue that is a precedent?   The trees around your plot would kill any argument about an extension restricting visibility.

I did briefly consider trying for a new dwelling in the house I previously had, but it would have been a small house and both would have had tiny gardens, and parking would be awkward sharing the same entrance.  And there was a covenant issue so I decided just to extend.

Yes, the house two doors down from mine have a huge double storey extension up to their boundary (pavement), however they are on the 'inside' of the cul-de-sac and no building line behind them... Mine wouldn't even go halfway to my boundary.

The house opposite my sticks out 2.5m from mine already, but i don't know if thats anything. And also the sun travels from the right, bottom and then left of my google map image. So basically my extension + garage would be north facing to the house to the rear. 

I do like the thinking about using the garage to break the building line first...

How big should a garage be anyway? 

@ProDave - were the properties used during your appeal directly behind your house - so the building line of the road. Or where they used from elsewhere in the village as an example?  In my town there are a few examples of single storey side extensions breaking a building line, but obviously the road which is adjacent to me has a clear line until a junction and the properties change srtle