Pssst! ... Got any land for some council houses?

ToughButterCup

So, it's back to the 1950s / 60s is it? Mac, bless him (reminded me of a puffin for some reason) got on with the job like the gritty leader he was

There are some lessons in this for the modern day. Macmillan showed that the ruthless application of political will, along with businessmen employed as fixers, could achieve a surprising amount. He had no qualms about arranging for the building of vast numbers of council houses: Labour was to some extent beaten with its own weapons. (Conservative Home accessed 04/10/2017)

Ah well, that's the end of Building Control then. Remember how long it took to rip those dreadfully built houses down?  Not long.

If you are a BCO, you might as well get another job.

I have, Mike, you are right. And listening to the stories the roofing rep (he was very diplomatic; no names, no pack drill) told today, every last ounce of my cynicism is more than justified.  Being both optimistic and cynical is useful.

For me, cynicism informs but need not temper optimism.

One Mr Livingstone did something similar in Camden in the 1970s, by compulsorily purchasing a lot of people's houses.

Built some decent very well designed flats I think, but ended up with costs ludicrously out of control - they had at least one development costing more than 80k per unit to construct in the early 1980s.

I do not see them getting that sort of behaviour through now.

As it happens I saw a bulldozer for the first time today on the Housing Estate site that I sold to a developer 18 months ago with outline pp and a full set of reports including a Phase II ground and gas monitoring. Original project to obtain PP started in Spring 2013. This was quick, and anyone saying they will get significant numbers of Council Houses built within a single 5 year term without reinventing us as Cuba is being a little optimistic imo.

(Edit: I see that Supermac abolished Planning Fees :-) ).

The Council next door has some good land for Council Houses, since no one buy it with PP at fire sale prices.

Edited by Ferdinand