Planning Conditions - materials, landscaping and noise help

Hey everyone. We're finally tackling these three conditions on our planning approval. I'd rather just do these myself if I can and save any additional costs our good architect friend will charge.

The three in question are:

1. No development shall commence on site above slab level until details of the types and colours of external materials to be used, have been submitted to and approved in writing by the Local Planning Authority.
  2. No development shall take place on site above slab level until there has been submitted to and approved in writing by the Local Planning Authority a scheme of hard and soft landscaping which shall specify species, planting sizes, spacing and numbers of trees/shrubs to be planted (including replacement trees where appropriate) including boundary treatments, hard surfacing and a maintenance programme detailing all operations to be carried out in order to allow successful establishment of planting.
  3. No development shall take place on site until a scheme for protecting the proposed dwellings from the commercial unit adjacent has been submitted to, and approved in writing by the Local Planning Authority. Any proposed mitigation scheme shall have regard to the Basingstoke & Deane 'Noise assessments and reports for planning applications - Guidance note for developers and consultants'. Mitigation proposals will consider and utilise where possible, reduction in noise exposure achieved by effective site layout, building orientation, the use of physical barriers, utilising open space as a buffer, internal room configurations and any other available mitigation strategies. The following noise levels shall be achieved with mitigation in place.
    a) Internal day time (0700 - 2300) noise levels shall not exceed 35dB LAeq, 16hr for
    habitable rooms (bedrooms and living rooms with windows open*)
    b) Internal night time (2300 - 0700) noise levels shall not exceed 30dB LAeq with
    individual noise events not exceeding 45dB LAfMax (windows open*).

Now i get what each one is asking for, but I'm struggling to find examples of what has actually been submitted. Would anyone be kind enough to showcase any of your own? If I can get away with PPT that's saved as a PDF that would be brill. How much detail needs to be on there - and the big question, does anyone actually follow up with any of this? I would assume the building materials would be a 'yes', but maybe not so much with the landscaping?

And for the third question - is this just asking how we would go about measuring it, plus what windows, insulation we will have to combat it? We're next to a Moles Countrystore, so it's not actually noisy - just the forklift beeping every so often.

As always, any info appreciated.

*edited as I forgot the noise one!

Edited by AppleDown

• AppleDown changed the title to Planning Conditions - materials, landscaping and noise help

Materials...

For the first one you just send elevation drawings marked up with the materials. Attach a list with pictures and or samples. Mention if they are already used locally. Eg..

"External walls where shown on the elevation drawings to be ABC bricks made by DEF. These have already been used on other properties in the area."

"Windows are to be hardwood/uPVC made by GHI model JKL. See brochure/photo of example."

"Roof to be tiled with plain clay tiles by MNO."

If the bricks aren't already used locally you may need to provide samples. Brick suppliers will sometimes let you have 3 bricks free for this.

Landscape...

This is usually a site plan marked up showing trees to be retained, trees to be removed (dotted), fences, hedges, driveway finish and any hard surfaces.

On ours the main trees were numbered on the plan and a document provided detailing their species and approx size and their intended fate.

"New planting to be watered and maintained according to the suppliers recommendations. Any trees that die in the first 3 years to be replaced."

We were told we had to plant a hedge and you can find planting specs on the web for that.Eg "Native Hedge whips planted in two staggered rows 50cm spart. Species to include mix of ???. Plastic spirals to provide rabbit protection."

Any trees (and plants?) you show on the landscaping plan you can reclaim the VAT for. Otherwise not.

Noise/Screening..

Not sure about the noise condition. You will have to read the document they refer to and see what figures and mitigation measures it contains. You might be able to cite sections of their own document back to them.

Ideally you should propose what you want to do. If you get stuck you could ask the councils landscape officer for advice but he might suggest a lot of expensive things.

Edited by Temp
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, AppleDown said:

No development shall take place on site until a scheme for protecting the proposed dwellings from the commercial unit adjacent has been submitted to, and approved in writing by the Local Planning Authority. Any proposed mitigation scheme shall have regard to the Basingstoke & Deane 'Noise assessments and reports for planning applications - Guidance note for developers and consultants'.

Mitigation proposals will consider and utilise where possible, reduction in noise exposure achieved by effective site layout, building orientation, the use of physical barriers, utilising open space as a buffer, internal room configurations and any other available mitigation strategies. The following noise levels shall be achieved with mitigation in place.

a) Internal day time (0700 - 2300) noise levels shall not exceed 35dB LAeq, 16hr for habitable rooms (bedrooms and living rooms with windows open*)
b) Internal night time (2300 - 0700) noise levels shall not exceed 30dB LAeq with individual noise events not exceeding 45dB LAfMax (windows open*).

I will message you about this.

• Like 1

Going through this very saga at the moment with East Herts.

We have satisfied a couple of conditions already. 'Materials of construction' was easy. We sent photo's of the brick slip samples, roof tiles and Cedral cladding. For the windows we just told them they would be colour x, from supplier Y, in Alu clad timber.

Actually in all cases we stated, 'or similar'  which gives us a degree of wriggle room should we need/want it.  Planning were good as gold over this condition.

Still waiting for a response to the hard & soft landscaping condition, ( 3 weeks and counting). What we did was look at a successful submission from a house 100 metres away that was built in 2018. We took notice of the style and level of detail and figured that was clearly good enough. Our block plan submission for the full planning application contained most of what we decided to show so we basically re submitted that with a new name & date and added a wider driveway and low hedge. I added a note into the key that the driveway and patio would be SUDS compliant without specifying what exactly it would be. This top down view showed the house. drive, patio and a hedge at the front boundary. Rest is grass. Very light on detail to be honest but as i said the neighbours similar version got through. If you dont give much species detail then you dont have to provide specifics or maintenance plans. Grass everywhere mate! 

The biggest issue i have had with this so far has been getting the drawing submissions into the format and scale that they wanted. See a thread on here about this nonsense. .PDF and at 1:200 @ A1  in our case.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...