FSC certification - important?

Garald

So, it seems I'll have my bookcases made out of hevea (gumtree wood): I'm told it's extremely stable (important in a large wall-to-wall bookcase system) - in this respect and in appearance, it compares favorably to beech, I am told. I've heard hevea is a pretty eco-friendly choice, in that becoming wood is just the last stage in a life that involves being tapped for latex during many years, and a tree is then generally replanted.

However, the wood comes without FSC (Forrest Stewardship Council) certification, or apparently anything like that. Is that a serious sign? Does it matter?

FT HEVEA.pdf

17 minutes ago, Garald said:

Does it matter?

I recall seeing very high piles of mahogany (or similar) logs at an Indian dockyard, and cynically wondering how much it would cost to buy a certificate for them.

Madagacar continually loses forest, yet their government doesn't acknowledge timber as a resource. I don't wonder where it goes, and  expect it can get a nice cert too, if at adds value.

Yet if I had lots of land and trees, and knew the provenance I couldn't get a certificate for my own timber.

Does it matter? Yes. at least some protocol is being observed by some suppliers.

Do you fret about your bookcase? a bit of homework may resolve it, and you've done that.

Just called the wood supplier. He said the wood comes from China, but that other than that and the technical sheet above, he doesn't know anything that we don't already know (namely, that it's what happens to gum trees once they become unproductive).

Well, I suppose that, since gumtrees are not even a native species in Asia, we are talking about a commercial crop - the gumtrees were planted by somebody and will presumably be replanted some time after they are cut down. I guess I am good to go, conscience-wise?

2 minutes ago, Garald said:

Just called the wood supplier. He said the wood comes from China, but that other than that and the technical sheet above, he doesn't know anything that we don't already know (namely, that it's what happens to gum trees once they become unproductive).

Well, I suppose that, since gumtrees are not even a native species in Asia, we are talking about a commercial crop - the gumtrees were planted by somebody and will presumably be replanted some time after they are cut down. I guess I am good to go, conscience-wise?

For me you open up one of those pandora's boxes of what is really sustainable forestry. FSC and PEFC don't resolve issues with sustainability and ecology. Many of the largest so called environmentally friendly foresty systems are now openly being questioned about their impact on ecosystems - Sweden approaches are one particular example due to the monoculture and crop based approach.

I think,like you've already done, do your research and then make a balanced and sensible decision you're comfortable with. Whatever you do will have some sort of environmental impact and it's an impossible task to try to disengage ourselves as individual buyers from that. Given all the other choices of timber you could be making, it seems you'remaking a pretty sensible one?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SimonD said:

For me you open up one of those pandora's boxes of what is really sustainable forestry. FSC and PEFC don't resolve issues with sustainability and ecology. Many of the largest so called environmentally friendly foresty systems are now openly being questioned about their impact on ecosystems - Sweden approaches are one particular example due to the monoculture and crop based approach.

I think,like you've already done, do your research and then make a balanced and sensible decision you're comfortable with. Whatever you do will have some sort of environmental impact and it's an impossible task to try to disengage ourselves as individual buyers from that. Given all the other choices of timber you could be making, it seems you'remaking a pretty sensible one?

I suppose so, unless I soon find an article on growing better gum-trees by sacrificing kittens. Tell me more about how a crop-based approach is harmful? (I thought what one had to avoid was cutting down old forest that cannot regenerate?) Gumtrees are a crop, in effect, though their wood is essentially but a sub-product.

24 minutes ago, Garald said:

how a crop-based approach is harmful?

It is usually a monoculture and unattractive to wildlife. thus it provides  no natural benefit.

This applies to UK timber as much as to exotic stuff, as the forests are dense, dark expanses of dead needles. Newer planting is apparently more thoughtful with varieties of trees and some gaps.

• Like 2