Permitted Porch size ???

Hi everyone 

I’m planning g on building a porch on my terraced house. I know it is permitted development if it’s under 3m2, which the building itself will be. However I want the roof to extend about 2m over the adjacent window, does this put it over the permitted development size limit?

It says 3m2 measured externally, is that the building itself or the whole area under the roof?

A previous house I owned had a porch and when I sold it had to prove it had planning (which it did, council were helpful in providing historic docs).

The tech guidance says..

D1. Development is not permitted by Class D if:

(a) permission to use the dwellinghouse as a dwellinghouse has been granted only by virtue of Class M, N, P, PA or Q of Part 3 of this Schedule (change of use)

The erection of a porch is not permitted where the house was created under the permitted development rights to change use, set out in Classes M, N, P, PA, and Q of Part 3 of Schedule 2 to the Order.

(b) the ground area (measured externally) of the structure would exceed 3 square metres

(c) any part of the structure would be more than 3 metres above ground level or

(d) any part of the structure would be within 2 metres of any boundary of the curtilage of the dwellinghouse with a highway

I would suggest that means the overhang must be included in the area.

Pretty sure a car port on the front of your house would need planning permission even if in front of a door.

Edited by Temp

Interesting, "ground area" is not defined in the order. So, it could be argued that the overhang has no ground area since it does not sit on the ground. However, it could also be argued that the overhang projects over a ground area so should be included.

You can see why so much planning ends up in the courts!

• Like 1