what professional to use in assessing building plot?

hello 

Ive been looking at several building plots for sale in northern ireland, who would i use

to assess if the land is suitable to build on? sorry if it is a bit of a beginners question

regards

5 minutes ago, redjeff said:

hello 

Ive been looking at several building plots for sale in northern ireland, who would i use

to assess if the land is suitable to build on? sorry if it is a bit of a beginners question

regards

Are you thinking from a planning point of view or a practical one. If the site doesn't have planning then you can have a planning consultant to look at the feasibility of the site.

if its practical you could have a chat with ground investigation companies to see if they have any experience in the local area and what there thought are on the likely ground conditions are and if they are any good. You could also speak to building control to see if they have any experience of builds in the local area.

many thanks for reply, a recent site i viewed seemed very soggy and my first thoughts 

were a money pit. It had outline planning permission, unsure if that means anything though.

Yes, outline planning means you can build there and you could raise finance and so adds a fair bit of value.

You can get an environmental report on contamination, flood risk etc.

You are right to check. Planning means you have a legal right to build a house there.  It does not mean it is actually physically possible to do so, or that you can connect to all services to make it habitable.  So as well as ground conditions, check you can get at least water and electricity, and if it is a rural plot away from mains drainage, then you will need a treatment plant and some form of soakaway which may require a lot of space.

And check the site measurements.  It would not be first time a plot turned out to be smaller than on the approved plans and the approved house would not fit on the actual plot.

58 minutes ago, Moonshine said:

have a chat with ground investigation companies

Id rather speak to a local SE. They will know all the typical ground conditions and the implications. 

They will say if they can't be sure and need a hole or borehole dug.

That is unless the site has been used for another purpose that might have involved fill material. But your searches before purchase should confirm that.

26 minutes ago, ProDave said:

And check the site measurements.

A good point. I've found a site to be much smaller than offered because neighbours had moved fences and now had the rights. It made it unviable.

Look on Google Earth too. Especially look back using the timeline to see what was there in the past.