Scaffold safety on a neighbouring site

Hello,

We have had a number of quite serious issues caused by a neighbouring development. Including cosmetic plaster damage from piling, serious flooding and subsequent silt deposits across our gravel drive on a number of occasions caused by developer blocking a storm drain that runs through both properties, flooding issue is now resolved thankfully. We accept we will need to sort the damage from these two problems ourselves. However, after an incident this week where a newly built second storey concrete block wall collapsed and fell through scaffolding into our property, I’d really like some advice. Fortunately no one was hurt, they apologised, quickly cleared up the rubble on our side and did some temporary repairs to damaged fencing etc My question is, the scaffolding is approx 2m from our garden boundary line and maybe 4.5m from our house gable end. It runs along a side access footpath (owned by us) that we regularly use. The builders use circular saws on the platforms to cut concrete blocks, they cut foam insulation up there and I’m guessing will also start cutting the roof and wall

tiles up there also. Even before the wall collapsed, we’ve had sparks from angle grinders flying into our garden as well as general build debris, insulation foam and a lot of block/brick dust flying over here. Can we request or insist they put scaffold netting up to minimise this for the rest of the build? Or is it at their discretion? 

Many thanks in advance 

4 minutes ago, Residential build said:

a newly built second storey concrete block wall collapsed and fell through scaffolding into our property, I’d really like some advice. Fortunately no one was hurt, they apologised, quickly cleared up the rubble on our side and did some temporary repairs to damaged fencing

How much material are you talking about?

I would be going ape sh!t at the SM / builder boss at this, walls shouldn't collapse, scaffold netting should be considered. I would be keeping record of all the stuff coming across your side

I don't know if this incident would be HSE notifiable.

Edited by Moonshine

If the scaffold is 2m from the boundary it is not likely that any debris will fall onto your land.

Sparks from grinder would mainly come from cutting metal, not brick or tiles.  They could reduce dust by attaching a hose if it is a petrol cut off saw.

Mr Punter, See above, this is not the case, we absolutely are getting debris this side regularly, Yes I’m aware the sparks from the angle grinder are from cutting metal. This has also been used at ground level right next to our hedge where the sparks are spraying through by around 1.5m. Presumably netting would trap at least some of the dust and particles from the block, brick and tile cutting though? It absolutely is coming this way - we also live in a narrow valley with quite a strong prevailing breeze in this direction.

Just now, Mr Punter said:

Unbraced gables are quite vulnerable to collapse in high winds.  Ask @ToughButterCup.

But the OP should be protected against it, and nothing should be coming off an building site into a public area

https://www.hse.gov.uk/construction/safetytopics/publicprotection.htm

Falling objects - You must make sure objects cannot fall outside the site boundary. On scaffolds you can achieve this using toe-boards, brick guards and netting. You may also need fans and/or covered walkways.

• Thanks 1

Whilst some dust and noise has to be accepted, the builder/owner etc. must take reasonable steps to minimise. Debris netting on scaffold, fully boarded hoarding their side of the hedge and you should not have to accept repairs for flood damage caused by their works.

be firm but fair and get agreements backed up in writing (email).

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Moonshine said:

But the OP should be protected against it, and nothing should be coming off an building site into a public area

https://www.hse.gov.uk/construction/safetytopics/publicprotection.htm

Thank you so much. They have got toe board up but that doesn’t seem to be stopping much. I will ask him to put netting up and speak to the HSE if he still doesn’t think it’s necessary. Thanks for your help 

2 minutes ago, markc said:

Whilst some dust and noise has to be accepted, the builder/owner etc. must take reasonable steps to minimise. Debris netting on scaffold, fully boarded hoarding their side of the hedge and you should not have to accept repairs for flood damage caused by their works.

be firm but fair and get agreements backed up in writing (email).

Thank you, yes we’re trying to be as understanding as possible but it’s taking its toll and our dog or even one of us could have been serious injured or even killed yesterday. We were lucky. There is no solid hoarding. Nothing against our hedge and they’ve put a bit of broken heras fencing in a gap where they’ve removed the hedge. We’ve had to put up extra stock fencing within our boundary to keep our dog in where they damaged our old fencing too. We’re trying to be patient, but it’s not great! 

Just now, Residential build said:

I will ask him to put netting up and speak to the HSE if he still doesn’t think it’s necessary. Thanks for your help 

i would document every thing with photo's in case you need to go to the local authority or HSE.

• Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, Residential build said:

... Can we request ...  they put scaffold netting up to minimise this ...

Yes.

Document what has happened. Talk to the HSE. I don't hold out much hope for you though. HSE funding has been cut, cut and cut again.

• Thanks 1

any reasonable scaff firm would net the whole lot against your boundry. a 100m roll of netting is less than £50.

There is always going to be a level of nuisance which you have to live with. 

• 1 month later...