Wallpaper on furniture?

Garald

I'd like to wallpaper the "inside back" of a Murphy bed (that is, the part that is visible when it's open and is not the mattress). Problem is, I haven't wallpapered a thing in my life, and I also don't know whether pasting wallpaper on furniture requires any special treatment or glue. Does it?

(Apparently I can't hire someone to do it - agencies that send wallpaper-people to your place won't do it if it involves messing about with furniture.)

So, what do I need? Paste brush, scissors with extra-long blades, paper-hanging brush, seam roller - anything else?

The material is not so different from what you might expect on the back of a kit bookcase.

image.thumb.jpeg.aa537c49c84d59877a03e47895345a58.jpeg

No photo description available.May be an image of bedroom and indoors

1 hour ago, Garald said:

Problem is, I haven't wallpapered a thing in my life,

We all start out in life / DIY .. being a builder knowing not a lot so you're not alone. I still learn something each time I come on Build Hub.

1 hour ago, Garald said:

So, what do I need? Paste brush, scissors with extra-long blades, paper-hanging brush, seam roller - anything else?

A good wall paper paste that is designed for sticking to say a vinyl wall paper or similar surface is your starting point.

In terms of tools. A bucket, sponge, a wide brush and a sharp pair of kitchen scissors.. the most important thing is to read the instructions on the wall paper as the method of applying the glue changes.

Don't go sanding it all down in case you later change your mind!

Just one last thing. A roll of quality wall paper comes with a batch number on the label inside the roll. Photograph that in case you later want to put more of the paper elsewhere.

• Like 1

+1

I also keep a large clean dry brush for pressing and smoothing out bubbles, and pushing the paper into corners. Avoid brushes that have sharp metal on them as easy to snag the wet paper. They sell brushes designed for this job.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Gus Potter said:

In terms of tools. A bucket, sponge, a wide brush and a sharp pair of kitchen scissors.. the most important thing is to read the instructions on the wall paper as the method of applying the glue changes.

It's a roll of William Morris wallpaper produced by Sanderson - apparently it's too highbrow to come with instructions :(.

Edited by Garald
  • Like 1