Is this normal ?

Can someone kindly tell me if this is normal for bog standard council paving slabs.

We had the slabs laid about 6 months ago and they have this circle in the middle. They have been there pretty much since being laid but I didn’t think much of it but my wife keeps asking what they are and I haven’t a clue.

Any ideas ?IMG_4029.thumb.jpeg.e93cee31eb0c6a98f11b8da7aa370083.jpeg

Thank you but wow! Really ?

28 minutes ago, twice round the block said:

The slabs are upside down.

Is there a way to tell what the way right way round is, as these patches aren’t always obvious ? Is it a case of someone who actually knows how to lay these types of slabs properly would know this ?

35 minutes ago, pstunt said:

Thank you but wow! Really ?

Is there a way to tell what the way right way round is, as these patches aren’t always obvious ? Is it a case of someone who actually knows how to lay these types of slabs properly would know this ?

The dimpled surface is the part that sits on the mould. The white patch area is where water settled during the casting process. The top surface is smooth. If the pavers are just set on compacted sand, fairly simple to lift and flip over.

2 minutes ago, Conor said:

The dimpled surface is the part that sits on the mould. The white patch area is where water settled during the casting process. The top surface is smooth. If the pavers are just set on compacted sand, fairly simple to lift and flip over.

Thanks.

i will flip one over tomorrow and compare. 

On 18/02/2024 at 16:16, Mr Punter said:

I think they were the right way up.  The underside top picture shows a rough edge and border.  The topside lower picture I think is non slip surface.

Thanks. That’s what I was thinking. I can only conclude then the marks are as a result of the manufacturing process. Will just have to live with it.