Triple Glazed, preferably Aluclad Timber suppliers

peekay

Hi.

Our build is progressing well, and we are now at a point when we expect to need windows in about 12-15 weeks.

I've had prices from Rational (via 3 separate suppliers), Green Building Store, Velfac and IdealCombi. All a similar price when including tax and fitting, with IdealCombi being marginally less expensive, but still over budget.

Approx 45m2 of glazing, split between a mix of 15 x fixed and openable windows and 3 x 3m wide openable doors (sliding, french or bifold, indifferent which).

I've also got quotes from a couple of local window companies for triple glazed aluminium and UPVC frames, which are only about 15% cheaper than the Aluclad companies, but with much poorer U Values.

Is there anyone else that I am missing? Often on the Grand Designs type shows on TV, the glazing comes from somewhere further East, but I'm struggling to find anything other than that big names mentioned above.

Any other suppliers would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Internorm is a common option on here. 

A friend mentioned this company to me as they are looking to import from Poland. 

https://debesto.com/en/

We have Alu-clad Nordan 3G windows. We are very happy with them. In hindsight I’m not sure alu-clad is a great choice though as while they claim the cladding is easy to replace (which it is as it clips into place) the reality is there would be a fair bit of dismantling around the windows (we’re timber clad) to remove the alu-cladding. Timber windows would be easier to maintain long term as they are more easily paintable. 

Interesting views about timber Vs Aluclad. I had assumed that the aluminium outer would have a 20-40 year maintenance free lifespan.

I was drawn to Aluclad as having lived in various houses within conservation areas over the past 20yrs wth single glazed timber sash windows, I absolutely hate the thought of ever having to paint a window again.

Sure but they are easily scratched. They can be touched up too of course. Not convinced they are maintenance free over 40 years. Even Nordan badly scratched ours replacing a glazing unit. Fortunately I had the foresight not to timber clad around that window so the alu cladding was easy to replace. 

1 hour ago, Conor said:

Fyi aluclad PVC is about half the price of aluclad timber (internorm)

We went that way as it seemed the best balance between u-values, airtightness, quality and

price.  They also provide integrated blinds  which we needed for Part O.  And we needed a 5m lift and slide patio door.   Fitting went well and just had a pre board air test which landed at 0.42 ACH.  

• Like 1

We used Allan Brothers for aluclad timber. They actually come from one of their sister companies in I think Denmark as their UK manufacturing is timber only. We were very pleased with both service and the final product, and they were our cheapest quote.