Damp in attic from flashing, we think.

TheMitchells

Recently we have noticed that after rain, in the top corner of our bathroom (nearest the back corner of the house) the plaster tape has been coming loose, with some damp behind.  It is around the sil pipe which runs up, into the attic and out through the roof.  After clearing some space in the attic, we removed the insulation from that corner and could see the plasterboard was soggy within the surround  of the soil pipe.  The wood next to it is wet but the rest around is damp only, not that wet.  

So we next moved outside and looked at that corner of the house.  I can see that some of the mortar under the roof tiles is missing and that is the side that gets the most rain.  But that doesnt seem to be the reason the corner of the attic is wet - its in the wrong place.  while we do need to get it repaired, hubby thinks it could be coming in from the flashing around the soil pipe.  I have added some pictures. 

Any ideas how we can try sealing around the flashing or does it need to be re-done?  We'll have to get scaffolding up to do the mortar (and paint the soffits) so are looking to do it all in one go. Luckily there is good verntilation in the attic and we hope that now the insulation is pulled away, it will dry. Unless we get lots more rain.

20240215_102603.jpg

20240215_102612.jpg

20240215_102556.jpg

20240215_102530.jpg

Get up up there with  a watering can and watch inside to see if water comes in and where, also it may be condensation on the soil pipe from cold air within it cooling it 🤷‍♂️. I once has a complaint after fitting a velux window saying it was leaking, I pointed out the condensation on the flashing but I had advised him to insulate it previously to stop that.

To me, it looks like the lead on the left hand side goes on TOP of the tile?  The lead should be underneath, properly dressed and the tile on top of the lead.

image.png.30cf8cbc568a392a0022805b1d4ed5a2.png

Looks like the right side may be the same.

You need a roofer up there to take those 2 tiles off and put them back with the lead underneath and tiles on top of the lead.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, ProDave said:

To me, it looks like the lead on the left hand side goes on TOP of the tile?  The lead should be underneath, properly dressed and the tile on top of the lead.

You need a roofer up there to take those 2 tiles off and put them back with the lead underneath and tiles on top of the lead.

Yes, I can see that now.  I haven't been up the ladder but will ask OH to check then look to find a roofer.  Thanks.

10 hours ago, joe90 said:

Get up up there with  a watering can and watch inside to see if water comes in and where, also it may be condensation on the soil pipe from cold air within it cooling it 🤷‍♂️. I once has a complaint after fitting a velux window saying it was leaking, I pointed out the condensation on the flashing but I had advised him to insulate it previously to stop that.

We tried that with a hose directed onto the roof but he couldnt see anything coming in. 

• Sad 1

13 hours ago, ProDave said:

On reflection, I dont think the way it is done is causiing the problem.  Partially as its been that way for nearly 40 years so if that was it, the house corner of the roof would be rotten.  But also, due to the shape of the tiles, each side allow water under the flashing, but then it drains out as the tile curves back up, stopping it from getting to the actual hole.  But i do think we should ask an expert to come and check it and maybe replace the flashing as it is either that or water going into the broken mortar.

1 hour ago, joe90 said:

But hosing it down should show any leaks surely  🤷‍♂️

Thats what we thought but nothing.  we're waiting till heavy rain and we'll get up there to have a look. just clearing the insulation in that area is helping to dry it out.  But there's been no rain for a few days now. 

• Like 1

Well, after a night of rain, we checked the attic this morning and the wood to the side of the soil pipe was wet.  It looked as if it was coming in from the roof, the far side side of the pipe so probably not the soil pipe/flashing at all.  its going to mean removing the tiles off that corner of the roof and seeing if they or the felt is damaged, as well as re-doing the mortar along the whole roof line at the side of the house.  It will give me a chance ot paint the wood too as it hasnt been done since we built the garage, 22 years ago.  The pipe flashing could get re-newed too, as belt and braces.  now i just need to find out how we can get scaffolding up there or if we can do it from ladders (unlikely).rooffeb24.thumb.jpg.49ed8cdbabaf6428957a906cc4191178.jpg

• Like 1