Options for extending granted PP for bungalow?

flanagaj

Hi,

Curious to understand the following.

1.  If PP has been granted for a 2 bed bungalow with internal area of 155m2.  Would a change of interior layout to create a third bedroom require a PP change or could it be done with notifying the planning department?

2.  The roof void is large and would easily accommodate the third bedroom with ensuite, and could be done with velux windows so as to avoid dormers.  Again, would this require a revised PP application.

Just trying to understand options.

Thanks

1. It would require a notification to the LPA via a Variation of Condition (S73) application.

2. Could be done via a VoC application. Or if PD rights have not been removed, build the house and then convert the loft space after with Building Regulations.

6 minutes ago, DevilDamo said:

1. It would require a notification to the LPA via a Variation of Condition (S73) application.

2. Could be done via a VoC application. Or if PD rights have not been removed, build the house and then convert the loft space after with Building Regulations.

Can a VoC be refused, and how can I find out whether PD rights have been removed, as that would most likely be a deal breaker.

21 minutes ago, DevilDamo said:

Yes, any application can be refused.

Look at the Decision Notice to see if any conditions mention the withdrawal of all or part PD rights.

Just reading the decision notice, and it does mention the following.  

Notwithstanding the provisions of Article 3 of the Town and Country Planning (General Permitted Development) Order 2015 (or any Order revoking and re-enacting that Order with or without modification) no building, structure or other alteration permitted by Classes AA or B, Part 1 of Schedule 2 of the Order shall be erected on the application site. REASON: To prevent the overdevelopment of the site in the interests of the visual amenity of the area and to safeguard the character of the local landscape, in accordance with Policies EM1 and EM10 of the Basingstoke and Deane Local Plan 2011-2029.

Class AA relates to adding an additional storey and Class B relates to roof extensions, e.g. hip to gable or dormers. The conversion of the roof space with rooflights would therefore be deemed PD.

But remember, you can only utilise your PD rights once the original and approved house has been built/completed/signed off.

17 minutes ago, DevilDamo said:

Class AA relates to adding an additional storey and Class B relates to roof extensions, e.g. hip to gable or dormers. The conversion of the roof space with rooflights would therefore be deemed PD.

But remember, you can only utilise your PD rights once the original and approved house has been built/completed/signed off.

Sorry if I am being vacant, but are you saying that after building the property as specified in the granted PP, installing a bedroom with roof lights would be allowed or are you saying that they have refused that PD right?

They have removed the rights for roof extensions, i.e. additions to the roof. They have not withdrawn the rights to add rooflights.

Stage 1: Commence, complete and receive BR sign off for the new dwelling.

Stage 2: Submit a LDC and/or Building Regulation application for the loft conversion.

Stage 3: Commence, complete and receive BR sign off for the loft conversion.

There will obviously be other stages and approvals to deal with and your agent should be advising you on that.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, DevilDamo said:

They have removed the rights for roof extensions, i.e. additions to the roof. They have not withdrawn the rights to add rooflights.

Stage 1: Commence, complete and receive BR sign off for the new dwelling.

Stage 2: Submit a LDC and/or Building Regulation application for the loft conversion.

Stage 3: Commence, complete and receive BR sign off for the loft conversion.

There will obviously be other stages and approvals to deal with and your agent should be advising you on that.

Thank you very much for taking the time to answer my questions.   Knowing that the loft conversion with roof lights post build is an option for the third bedroom is really helpful, and means that offering on the plot is a viable option.

Can I ask one other question.  If PD rights have been removed, will that also mean that I will be unable to erect an outdoor studio / shed.   I wasn't sure whether a garden studio is classed as permitted development.