Extension height

With planning permission granted for a rear extension of 3.3m, a parapet wall can be built that takes the height closer to 4m. Doesn’t seem right but is yes?

Thanks,

Will

On 09/02/2024 at 13:00, Willl said:

With planning permission granted for a rear extension of 3.3m, a parapet wall can be built that takes the height closer to 4m. Doesn’t seem right but is yes?

Thanks,

Will

I don’t understand your question, if planning permission has been granted then whatever is on the plans is allowable, your  question implies the extension should only be 3.3m but a parapet wall at 4m is being built 🤷‍♂️.

I'm trying to understand how planning permission is given for a structure that once the parapet is built, is close to 4m high, when the councils published guidance is:

• However as a general rule, extensions extending up to 3m in length should be no more than 3m in height on the boundary. • Extensions which exceed this length and exceed a height of 2.5m on the boundary are unlikely to be supported. • Where a pitched roof is proposed, the ridge height should be visibly lower than the sill of any first floor windows. (minimum of 2 or 3 brick courses) • Extensions should not overlook or have an overbearing or enclosing effect on adjacent properties by way of their height, position or depth

The property is also on a slight elevation which increases its impact.

2 hours ago, Willl said:

However as a general rule,

That says it all, after fighting planners (and generally winning) for years I am yet to understand their mentality. Every application is dealt with in its own way ( and not usually consistent).

I feel like I have been let down by the council here; as the extension is certainly "overbearing".

Unfortunately, I feel I have let myself down too - as I should have challenged before it was constructed and its too late! (My understanding being that unless it is considerably different to the approved plans nothing will be done / enforced.. ) 

Yes, once planning permission has been granted, the building can, of course, be built as approved. The council should take into account overlooking etc in their decision, but they should have also given you an opportunity to comment on the application. There's generally an ad in the local paper, an notice posted on the site and letters to neighbours inviting their comments.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Willl said:

Unfortunately, I feel I have let myself down too - as I should have challenged before it was constructed and its too late! (My understanding being that unless it is considerably different to the approved plans nothing will be done / enforced.. ) 

Well only if you have a valid reason to challenge the application!. No it must be built as it’s on the plans, if not it can be challenged.

• 3 weeks later...

What does the Planning Officers’ report say as that would go into the decision making process in more detail?

Did the neighbour have a potential PD fallback position?

Edited by DevilDamo