57 minutes ago, saveasteading said:

BRE was privatised. Then it changed from being a national service to a business. They introduced air testing but only they could do the tests. Then along came epc and it was again very restricted. I met loads of their staff on both occasions. They were nice pr people with no tech knowledge.

So we can only assume that back at hq they don't know a lot either.

I was so constantly critical but few people accepted that BRE could be wrong, so I passed one of their exams.....which they charged a lot for.

Multiple choice., mostly obvious. 4 hours study as compared to the many days they suggested.

So true 

Unless you get an independent body with no vested interest 

Results are meaningless 

8 minutes ago, nod said:

?

Well apart from we have already paid for it, it allows anyone, maybe with a bit of effort, to check.

In today's parlance, we call it transparency.

A simple example, that can make a large difference, is displaying numbers.

You need to know if they are truncated, how many significant figures they are to, how many decimal places, if applicable, were they created from a mean or a median, or even a mode value, and what was the sampling rate and where those numbers rounded up or down, truncated etc.

Makes a big difference in some circumstances.

On 03/02/2024 at 07:52, SteamyTea said:

Well apart from we have already paid for it, it allows anyone, maybe with a bit of effort, to check.

I completely agree. We should be able to access the standards to ask questions like "Why is it like this?" and "How did you test that?"