FC1 by C-Tec

Thorfun

2 hours ago, SteamyTea said:

No idea about how good it is.

Is there anything that makes you think it will be better than the £1/tube ones?

it says it's paintable whereas i didn't think standard caulk was paintable? i wonder how much that is worth. there are other filling caulks around that are more expensive that FC1 too.

As it says in the video, normal caulk shrinks. So you end up with cracks every couple of years. Then you need to think about painting again. Bigger the gap the more it shrinks.

5 minutes ago, JohnMo said:

As it says in the video, normal caulk shrinks. So you end up with cracks every couple of years. Then you need to think about painting again. Bigger the gap the more it shrinks.

so there is benefit in the FC1? or is that just marketing BS?

Most caulks are a water based acrylic. They have different amounts of inert fillers, the more filler, or the larger the particles, the less shrinkage.

If you really want to fill something permanently, see about using an epoxy, because they generally have very small quantities of volatile (at normal temperatures), and the polymer cross linking is more thorough, they tend to stay the same volume.

If you want some gap fill, then polyurethane is the material of choice, but they will, after time, shrink (just look at a car dashboard or furniture cushion).

1 hour ago, SteamyTea said:

If you really want to fill something permanently, see about using an epoxy,

However caulk can remain flexible and wood (skirting etc) shrinks so cracking would still be a potential problem with epoxy 🤷‍♂️. CT1 has such a good reputation and £4 instead of £1 is not going to break the bank in the scheme of things.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, joe90 said:

CT1

I seem to remember it is paintable as well.

@Pocster is the CT1 man, we all told him that it will fix everything. 

As I drove on the M25 yesterday, between the M40 and M4, there is a very large electronic sign advertising CT1.

Must be there to remind all the Boing engineers it is used to stick the doors on.

• Haha 1