Electric powered, Hot water-only system options?

Chris HB

I’m after some advice or suggestions as to what to look into. I’ve been working on a small 1-bed refurbishment project in the Outer Hebrides. I have one source of energy for the building which is electricity.

So for the heating aspect, I think I’ll have things covered with two stand-alone electric radiators and a wood burner. What I’m unsure of is the best option to provide hot water? Realistically I just need hot water over a kitchen sink, and in the bathroom, I was looking at an electric shower and again, a hot water tap for the basin.

What would be my best options to achieve this?

You can't really beat boiling a kettle for doing dishes. And then you can do it on the woodburner if you want. I've probably spent the majority of my life using this 'system' (and still do today, albeit on a boat).

• Like 2

For heating you may want to look at some good threads on here for Air to Air Heat pumps- they have great COP and are DIY able (🤫).

Electric shower and a unvented water heater under the kitchen sink. (if layout allows this to get to the bathroom). are the cheapest options. (But not cheaper than a kettle:))

Edited by Jenki
A kettle is a good idea
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Crofter said:

beat boiling a kettle

They tend to be very efficient as well. Nearly all the energy goes into the water, and as it is used immediately, there are no standing losses.

If you are in a hard water area, when it scales up, buy a new ten quid kettle.

Edited by SteamyTea
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Crofter said:

Not a problem in the Hebrides 🙂

Nor here.

Radioactivity is though.

A really deep borehole into ancient granite should show a decent temperature gradient.

As you have soft water, how about one of those water boiling taps.

Am sure they can be got quite cheap.

https://www.diy.com/departments/nes-home-3-in-1-instant-boiling-hot-water-kitchen-tap-chrome-tap-only-with-cool-touch/3133312774455_BQ.prd

Edited by SteamyTea

On 01/02/2024 at 11:34, Crofter said:

You can't really beat boiling a kettle for doing dishes. And then you can do it on the woodburner if you want. I've probably spent the majority of my life using this 'system' (and still do today, albeit on a boat).

to be fair, that’s how I get washed in the morning anyway, so not a bad idea!

On 01/02/2024 at 11:36, Jenki said:

For heating you may want to look at some good threads on here for Air to Air Heat pumps- they have great COP and are DIY able (🤫).

Electric shower and a unvented water heater under the kitchen sink. (if layout allows this to get to the bathroom). are the cheapest options. (But not cheaper than a kettle:))

Ah, is that what they are called, an unvented water heater? Helpful to know what to search for in the first instance!

• Like 1

How good is your electricity connection? Sometimes the max kw you can pull at any one time could be a limiting factor when talking about instant water heaters and electric showers. Seeing as the place wasn't previously a house it might not have a great connection.

2 minutes ago, SteamyTea said:

Do you use the remaining hot water to make porridge, with salt in it.  Then put the horse hair shirt on.

I used to think I didn't like porridge because I wouldn't eat it with salt. Then one day I picked up the wrong bowl and my life was changed forever. 

1 minute ago, Crofter said:

I used to think I didn't like porridge because I wouldn't eat it with salt. Then one day I picked up the wrong bowl and my life was changed forever. 

So you remembered why you disliked it.

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, SteamyTea said:

Do you use the remaining hot water to make porridge, with salt in it.  Then put the horse hair shirt on.

That's for softies!

11 minutes ago, Crofter said:

How good is your electricity connection? Sometimes the max kw you can pull at any one time could be a limiting factor when talking about instant water heaters and electric showers. Seeing as the place wasn't previously a house it might not have a great connection.

So far so good with the electricity :)

12 minutes ago, Crofter said:

Water for porridge only when I run out of milk – I'm not a fan of salt in pretty much anything, apart from Fish and Chips obvs!

Soak the oats in a little water, then top up with milk. More economical. If the oats are cheap and coarse (we can't all afford Scotts you know) you might want to soak overnight.

Pinch of salt, spoonful of honey. Two minutes in the microwave. Job done 👍

• Like 1