Self Build Insurance Required?

Hello all, I have a fairly extensive bungalow re-model on. So far, I have done the vast majority of works, including everything structural. From now, I have roofers coming in but that's it for contractors till we're inside and doing all the internal works

Do I need self build insurance, if I'm doing it myself? What are the risks of not having it? 

Surely if contractors are insured, they would be claiming off their own insurance, not mine?

Appreciate everyone's help. 

Edited by NRMartin

You don’t need to insure contractors 

but you do need to insure the building 

Your basic build insurance will cover the building fire and theft and your liability should anyone wander on and injure themselves 

Id definitely insurer the building against fire and flood 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NRMartin said:

I have a fairly extensive bungalow re-model on

If you are currently insured, talk to your supplier of insurance and they will do a temporary change of insurance during the work period. Then if the worst happens you are covered

• Like 1

21 hours ago, NRMartin said:

Surely if contractors are insured, they would be claiming off their own insurance, not mine?

You may not need any insurance, it's a case of assessing the risk......

Do you have formal contracts with all your subcontractors ?

Do you ask  each and every contractor, and sub-contractor to provide a copy of their insurance before starting work ? 

Are you sure the chap the kitchen fitter brings with him to help him lift in the fridge is employed by the fitter and not just a bloke from the pub?

Will you "employ" someone [Son, daughter, next door neighbour] to do anything like cleaning, painting etc.

Questions to ask, you may want employer liability insurance.

You may want some element of personal liability or public liability insurance, which may or may not be covered in your existing insurance.

As @nod and @JohnMo say Speak to your current insurer and explain what your are doing, and see what they offer as a bolt on.

Edited by Blooda