Claiming VAT on till printed receipts + item description on form

I have a lot of till receipts rather than a full invoice and also some full invoices but they don't have any address details, some have an account code where it was the only way I could get a discount as not having a trade account.

Have people managed to claim VAT on just a till receipt or no address on the invoice?

Where you have a number of items on a single invoice, how do you complete the description as there is not a lot of room to describe all items on the VAT returns form?

I wonder how it will work with the new VAT claim method as they don't want the invoice so they will not be able to check unless they ask for the invoice and then what happens ?

Yes, the big orange DIY store is well known for this, even when you specifically ask for a "VAT receipt" you still just get a till roll.

I just sent o covering letter explaining the situation that all receipts from this company, that is the best they would provide and all were accepted.

Thank you for the replies, that clears up my till receipts.

Just wondering if anyone can explain the question regarding how do you fill in the VAT form description when you have various items on one invoice and there is not room to describe them all in the space available.

I guess it is one line for each invoice on the form.

Is Waste or water fittings good enough ?

• 4 weeks later...

I’ve recently done our claim via the new online system and had it paid 🙂.
I just summarised what was on the invoice as best as I could within the space and this seemed to work fine. 
They asked to see 24 out of our 117 invoices.  These were mainly the high value ones, not the ones where I had to summarise multiple items in the description. 
So just do what seems sensible and if they want more info they’ll ask for it. 
The turnaround was really fast!