Skirting fouling door

jayc89

We have a pretty small room with a narrow door and the door frame abuts the returning wall. 

No option to move the frame, as it's also at the foot of the stairs. No option to reduce the opening size, as it's already narrow (about 650mm). 

If I fit skirting to that returning wall, the door will only open about half way, so I need to do "something" else. I considered a thinner strip of wood on the returning wall, just behind the door and starting the skirting from the point the door reaches when it's open, but worried this will look cack. 

Has anyone seen similar setups finished well before?

4 minutes ago, crispy_wafer said:

would a bifold door work?

Was hoping to retain the original door (room was originally tiled, so not previously a problem). I suspect a bifold would stick out a fair bit into an already narrow opening?

They're quite chunky so would look out of place recessed across the full wall, I think.

Could parliament hinges work? AFAIK, they'd pull the door further into the opening and away from the wall, right? 

10 minutes ago, markc said:

Skirting with a taper planed into it so the door just clears

Door opens fine, just the skirting behind it would prevent it from opening any further than about half. Not sure how I could taper the skirting behind the door, as it would have to go down to next to nothing to open fully.

I'm thinking some sort of projection hinge is the way to go. I think these - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/352753838756?epid=1961814675&hash=item5221c46aa4:g:xEsAAOSwEdRgwQNx&amdata=enc%3AAQAIAAABAHCan7AOE0bTuHL6dtM3Vz2jNSLe8K2HsUSaJPediZ8c7GEWp6SUme38z7jDl5IDjwQcEkCW0yDv3Z%2FVVa%2Fh0S8r7INWyVZ21At0CwZ1goV61QDLd5uROcDWe%2FCUjemejt093vwRK3r2cO2WeK1ukHgiomGCh0ooqcgZMlgRvUP5TpOQy3xaN7a17ldkrRnZqIpvXv%2F1cYb5JO4DgVRcPbBFSSXaroMPaIMa8ViotinwS2lZf2C6GHY6utXrtrfEY9G72bAURQ8TNk0hTP8S%2Bwtgb0cdxHACtZndtloOy5mQg74YTRxQjqfN3pG0z618NuWv4jSbhKVpSGlJrM3pphc%3D|tkp%3ABk9SR6ad_c6jYw - would give me an additional 25mm clearance which should be enough, I'd still have to plane the face of the skirting down as it meets the frame though. 

6 minutes ago, jayc89 said:

Door opens fine, just the skirting behind it would prevent it from opening any further than about half. Not sure how I could taper the skirting behind the door, as it would have to go down to next to nothing to open fully.

I'm thinking some sort of projection hinge is the way to go. I think these - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/352753838756?epid=1961814675&hash=item5221c46aa4:g:xEsAAOSwEdRgwQNx&amdata=enc%3AAQAIAAABAHCan7AOE0bTuHL6dtM3Vz2jNSLe8K2HsUSaJPediZ8c7GEWp6SUme38z7jDl5IDjwQcEkCW0yDv3Z%2FVVa%2Fh0S8r7INWyVZ21At0CwZ1goV61QDLd5uROcDWe%2FCUjemejt093vwRK3r2cO2WeK1ukHgiomGCh0ooqcgZMlgRvUP5TpOQy3xaN7a17ldkrRnZqIpvXv%2F1cYb5JO4DgVRcPbBFSSXaroMPaIMa8ViotinwS2lZf2C6GHY6utXrtrfEY9G72bAURQ8TNk0hTP8S%2Bwtgb0cdxHACtZndtloOy5mQg74YTRxQjqfN3pG0z618NuWv4jSbhKVpSGlJrM3pphc%3D|tkp%3ABk9SR6ad_c6jYw - would give me an additional 25mm clearance which should be enough, I'd still have to plane the face of the skirting down as it meets the frame though. 

With these you just have to leave a bigger gap at the latch side or taper door inwards to clear during opening and closing because the pivot point stand off causes the door to move in an arc rather than pivot at the door face. Hope that makes sense.

3 minutes ago, markc said:

With these you just have to leave a bigger gap at the latch side or taper door inwards to clear during opening and closing because the pivot point stand off causes the door to move in an arc rather than pivot at the door face. Hope that makes sense.

Good point, I did wonder what it would do to the swing. Argh. The other side's quite tight too, for approx the first 150mm so that sound like it would also be a PITA. I'll get some pictures up...

3 minutes ago, Ian Phillips said:

I think a parliament hinge would work in this situation.

Without having to butcher the door on the latch side to open/close it?

Never used them before, so I'm purely guessing here, as they project further into the room, won't they have a wider swing and therefore foul the corner of the wall that protrudes out into the room;

Screenshot2024-01-18at15_10_57.thumb.png.f8bbb6a508d7bbb294a66420c7757d93.png