Large damp patch on internal wall of cottage

Dusty

This has appeared over the last couple of months on a North facing gable internal wall. I have found a small area of damage to the cement render on the external wall so assume this is where the moisture is coming in from. The wall is solid brick with gypsum plaster internally. Should I repair the render now to prevent a further ingress of water or will that seal  the existing moisture in? I am worried with all the rain we have been experiencing that if I don't do something soon the problem may get worse.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

11 hours ago, Dusty said:

This has appeared over the last couple of months on a North facing gable internal wall. I have found a small area of damage to the cement render on the external wall so assume this is where the moisture is coming in from. The wall is solid brick with gypsum plaster internally. Should I repair the render now to prevent a further ingress of water or will that seal  the existing moisture in? I am worried with all the rain we have been experiencing that if I don't do something soon the problem may get worse.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Solid brick and impermeable materials on both sides of it. I'm afraid you're asking for trouble. Moisture's getting in and it has no where to go. At least one side of that wall has to be able to "breathe". Replace the external render, or the internal plaster, with a lime based alternative. Avoid NHLs, especially NHL5, as they typically cure harder than cement over time. 

Thanks jayc89.

Yes that's what I thought . Trapping the moisture in is my worry. Cant really replace the external render so I will try and dry the room out from the inside over summer. I will remove the internal plaster so the bricks can breathe.

It sounds like an issue with the external render allowing bulk water through. 

Maybe some pictures would help us diagnose.

Get it patched up. Be particularly observant about and cracks around windows and at the top of the wall. 

1 hour ago, TonyT said:

What’s on the other side of the wall, any down pipes, gutters?  

Nothing. I have since discovered some condensation on the 1st floor internal wall which might be part of the problem?