Warranties for new build

9 minutes ago, nod said:

We have used CMLC this time 

Half the price of most

Same here. (Scotland too) Just keep in mind it’s technically not a warranty. 

Edited by Kelvin

In fairness We have used CMLC this time 

Half the price of most

In fairness They rarely payout But lenders want that bit of paper should you need to sell 

9 hours ago, Kelvin said:

Same here. (Scotland too) Just keep in mind it’s technically not a warranty. 

Hi Kelvin, we need a warranty for our lenders.  Could you expand on the ''technically not a warranty' element please?  Did you need your warranty for lending purposes.  Many thanks in advance. 

3 hours ago, JennyF said:

Hi Kelvin, we need a warranty for our lenders.  Could you expand on the ''technically not a warranty' element please?  Did you need your warranty for lending purposes.  Many thanks in advance. 

It’s not like the NHBC warranty that covers building defects in the first two years. This covers years 2-10 for things like foundations or drainage. It’s why it’s cheaper. If you just need it for the lenders then it should be ok. Check with your lender. We don’t have a mortgage but went with it in case we decided to sell within 10 years and the buyer’s were taking a mortgage out. 

15 hours ago, JennyF said:

It's an insurance policy - it says "Certificate of Insurance" on the top of ours.  It's limit is for a total value of the reinstatement at the time, so will not increase with inflation.

I am sure in the event of major claim there will be toing and froing between them and the provider of the Buildings Insurance.

We only took one out as we were going for a mortgage. 

• Like 1

On 17/01/2024 at 12:47, N-New Build said:

Have you tried Protek? 

Yes, have got a quote from Protek for both site insurance and Structural warranty.  Would you recommend them?  They are coming in cheaper than the Build Store.

56 minutes ago, JennyF said:

Yes, have got a quote from Protek for both site insurance and Structural warranty.  Would you recommend them?  They are coming in cheaper than the Build Store.

I’m with protek for both only because I needed SW and SI for my mortgage and they were the cheapest.  Warranty inspector is a strange character and seems to try to prove he’s better than the LABC BCO, has zero knowledge of timber frame builds 🤷🏻‍♂️.   

The warranty isn’t really a warranty in my mind as they insist on seeing all the other insurances and structural insurances including having to purchase a separate Insurance Backed Guarantee for my flat roof.  I suspect IF I had to claim they’d just push it on to someone else’s insurance.  

If I hadn’t needed a mortgage I wouldn’t have either apart from public liability insurance.