Internet switch - recommendations

3 hours ago, Moonshine said:

The what now? Please explain like I am a confused labrador

If you have it setup that each unit is picking up the WiFi signal from the previous unit, there is a drop in speed each time. You really want each unit connected via a LAN cable. For example in our upstairs office, we were getting 20mbs or less when in pure WiFi mode, but once I set it up and head all four units on LAN, then we were getting full 125mbs.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Moonshine said:

The what now? Please explain like I am a confused labrador

Ethernet backhaul in this context simply means that the Wi-Fi satellite you are connecting to with your phone transfers the data from the satellite via an ethernet cable which is faster and more reliable. There are different ways to do Ethernet backhaul. Some Wi-Fi satellites connect directly back to your router. Others connect two Wi-Fi satellites together. The reason for doing it is that it takes the load off the Wi-Fi network, faster, more robust. 

All my Deco are Wi-Fi as in the image 

AA3A07A2-DA01-4CC2-8386-D62008EA11C0.thumb.png.d369f0920e3cbe829673c9bcdca4eb46.png
no cables from Living room onwards (listed building) in the Snug we can watch streaming programs with no problems.  
It’s a long stone built barn, living room kitchen and bedroom on same floor with snug under bedroom. There is also a bedroom above kitchen that picks up the Wi-Fi ok and two under kitchen that also pick up Wi-Fi ok. 
the workshop is at least 20m from living room.  The back yard is new we put it up today temporarily outside to find best location it’s about 25m from Living room it couldn’t decide at first which to connect to living room or workshop but it settled on workshop. The back yard gave a good 25m coverage in nearly 360deg.  We will put it back up once we have less wind and give it permanent power it also takes Poe. Only comment it that it’s also white like the other deco so stands out a bit, looks very weatherproof though, no aerials for birds to mess with.
the numbers on the image represent how many devices connected and you can find out what they are and assign people to device and priority or set parental controls. The app is very good.

Hope this helps

Most basic switches (POE excluded) are about the same, and most use the same chips underneath. The Ubiquiti unifi kit is pretty good for soho / semi pro. It allows a bit of management too, but comes at a price premium over the cheaper unmanaged switches