What's more important for comfort U value or 'thermal mass'

Gone West

On 19/01/2024 at 17:53, SteamyTea said:

Yes.

And not a small amount either.

Price shock the market to force change.

Nobodys going to do that for the very obvious reasons that have been discussed before.

A goodly chunk of the population cannot afford to "change" away from gas no matter how expensive gas is. So they will simply be very cold or hungry. Or both.

Easy to say if you are not one of the affected.

Though in the crazy messed up world we live in, i guess, eventually government will pay you to do it. Which i think is the approach i will take. Just wait until they pay for it all. Its the inevitable conclusion of the path we are currently taking.

Mind you that might be unachievable as the grant harvesting companies will keep putting up their costs inline with the grant increases.......................

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Roger440 said:

Easy to say if you are not one of the affected.

Indirectly I have been affected.  People are eating out less, as they have less cash to spend on such luxuries.

We have had two price shocks in the last 20 years.  Neither of them have been bad enough to make a material change to our heating systems, so maybe just price isn't enough.

Changing the taxation on fuel to a carbon base would help.  It really is totally wrong that most pf the carbon tax is on electricity production, but domestic gas burning, which is very inefficient, hardly has any 'because it is better than coal', a fuel that is hardly used for home heating at all these days.

12 minutes ago, Roger440 said:

Lets hope im dead by then

Apart from your great age, why.  Seems to be very much the same, with everything going on behind the scenes, just the way it should.  Get up to a warm house, have a shower or bath, go to work in a car, have lunch (I often have a non meat lunch when working), go for a walk in the woods/hills/beach, go home and watch streamed TV, sleep.  Really no different from today, or 50 years ago.

3 minutes ago, SteamyTea said:

Indirectly I have been affected.  People are eating out less, as they have less cash to spend on such luxuries.

We have had two price shocks in the last 20 years.  Neither of them have been bad enough to make a material change to our heating systems, so maybe just price isn't enough.

Changing the taxation on fuel to a carbon base would help.  It really is totally wrong that most pf the carbon tax is on electricity production, but domestic gas burning, which is very inefficient, hardly has any 'because it is better than coal', a fuel that is hardly used for home heating at all these days.

Apart from your great age, why.  Seems to be very much the same, with everything going on behind the scenes, just the way it should.  Get up to a warm house, have a shower or bath, go to work in a car, have lunch (I often have a non meat lunch when working), go for a walk in the woods/hills/beach, go home and watch streamed TV, sleep.  Really no different from today, or 50 years ago.

My point was, and is, the effects of artifically raising prices will be socially and politically unacceptable for the reasons i already stated.

Anyone suggesting that as a route forward should maybe consider their moral compass?

I would be 80 by then, so resonable chance i wont make it anyway. Maybe you read a different article to me? Either way, its not a future im looking forward too. 

• Like 1