Toilet not emptying waste completely

agamemnon

Hello, 

I have been having problems with my toilet in my cloakroom. It never empties waste completely, after having the house renovated, this room was the one left. The issue was also present in the previous toilet as well. 

My “Throne” pictures with a flushing video.

firstly the toilet does flush only from the back in the pan, and poo is still present requiring a second flushing. There is no overflow of the bowl. 

the inlet and flush mechanism have been set to the maximum amount of water of 6 litres. 

when I redid the room, it was carpeted before, so I levelled the floor used a bal flexbone and then layed the tiles. There was a height difference between the waste outlet and the waste pipe, so I cut the cast iron waste pipe closest to the wall, used a 40mm offset pan connector with a pan connector extension. 

I bought this combi basin toiled with pan (from eBay) as I didn’t want a new hole for the basin’s dirty water.  Basin works fine, toilet doesn’t. 

I have bought a Dudley duodlush instead as well but haven’t changed it yet. 

I asked a plumber for a quote for having the job done, he said that he would want to cut the metal pipe from the outside change the height/angle that will reduce weird angles with the pan connector. The waste pipe is outside and goes 7/8 feet high. He won’t remove the whole, but cut parts for the plastic waste pipes. 

I am happy with that bit.

i want to box in the pipes in the bottom but want the pan to be changed to a better one, was thinking armitage shanks or twyford with a P trap. And have a my current cistern connect to them with a cistern pipe that goes into the pan from the back. 

Something like this but changing the cistern to mine.

he is suggesting to get a complete new combi toilet basin. I don’t want to spend £300 additional on a new toilet on top of the work. 

suggestions? 

IMG_6036.jpeg

Edited by agamemnon

Your present WC is "close coupled"  the one you are proposing is "low level".  They will NOT join together.

Your issue with the flush I suspect is just that your cistern has so little water in it.  This modern water saving lark just often means inadequate flush water requiring 2 or 3 flushes.  That hardly saves water does it?

My pragmatic solution when we had a house like this was use a different toilet for a No 2 and use the one with the poor flush just for a pee.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, agamemnon said:

....Are there any non water saving toilets/flushing mechanisms out there?  ....

Yes. And Agamemnon really is (was)  the fella who could tell you all about sitting on a bench, and straining into a large void. Specially when he was at Argos waiting for the results. I'd be shocked if there were any water at all in his case.

Edited by ToughButterCup

Posted (edited)

@ToughButterCup 😅😂😂. Not sure he is familiar with modernisation of British plumbing though, case and point! 

Back to topic better to an armitage shanks sandringham 21 any good? They appear in every industrial site that I know? Or any other preferred brands? 

Edited by agamemnon

agamemnon 

I share your pain,  i have exactly the same issue with a new WC pan after refurbing my bathrooom last year. It drives me mad and i will never buy this kind of thing online again. I need to see a view from above which is not what the pictures show when looking online.

The cheap £60 WC i bought some years ago from B&Q  for another refurb  is perfect in this regard. Shame it does not appear to be available anymore.

51 minutes ago, Post and beam said:

agamemnon 

I share your pain,  i have exactly the same issue with a new WC pan after refurbing my bathrooom last year. It drives me mad and i will never buy this kind of thing online again. I need to see a view from above which is not what the pictures show when looking online.

The cheap £60 WC i bought some years ago from B&Q  for another refurb  is perfect in this regard. Shame it does not appear to be available anymore.

do you have a button flush or lever system? 

Same here with a modern WC bought online which has low water content and a poor flush around the pan....luckily we have other choices in the house with 'branded' Armitage Shanks/Ideal Standard WC's which although low water content/button flush have a much more effective flush pattern around the pan rim.

If all else fails you could try changing to an old fashioned/period 'High Level' cistern which adds the force of gravity to the flush...and if a genuine old cistern it flushes at least a full gallon of water when you 'pull the chain' ! 😄

Edited by MAB

Posted (edited)

I am thinking of asking a plumber to do a hybrid of these two -

https://www.travisperkins.co.uk/toilets/twyford-cc1132wh-classic-low-level-toilet-pan-p-trap/p/793388

https://www.screwfix.com/p/thomas-dudley-ltd-acclaim-side-inlet-dual-flush-lever-cistern-9ltr/4047f

it May look cr*p, but better than having residual cr*p…

Edited by agamemnon

21 hours ago, agamemnon said:

do you have a button flush or lever system? 

Button flush on both. The cheap B&Q  pan and the recently purchased pan have the same cistern with 6 litre water.

The B&Q pan flushes perfectly and the recent thing is crap/leaves crap, sorry.

This sort of gives the lie to the idea its a low water volume problem.