Building Control Application

Hi Everyone,

Hoping for some advice on submitting a building control application. As background, we got planning permission to convert a detached chalet bungalow to a full house with a new closed panel timber frame 1st floor and rooms-in-roof design.

Once we tried to get contractors for the conversion involved and ran the numbers it became clear it would be cheaper and simpler to knock down and do a new closed-panel timber frame build. Thread discussion about that here. We are not changing the footprint and the rebuild would look the same from the outside as the planning permission we obtained. I've spoken to a planning consultant and the officer who did our original planning permission and apart from the detail as to why the need to switch they did not see any particular reason against it.

One main difference is we would do this on a self-build mortgage, we have discussed this with a provider and they have done their checks and are ready for us to provide planning/BC. We need a full BC application for financing. I did the original planning application and I have been building a detailed 3D model to provide the various plans, foundation, drainage, structure, plumbing, electrical, fire etc. I have a qualified SE provide me with beam calcs etc.

I've never done a BC application and the requirements for the plans seem more opaque than planning and I am wondering if I am over/underworking the detail necessary. The timber frame and steel will all be provided by an STA provider who will validate their design anyway, although they have said my model will reduce any estimation and some design costs from the project. I've laid out most of the structure now apart from the roof, but I am wondering how detailed this really needs to be? I would prefer to complete the BC app independently of a provider as I will save the considerable upfront cost and be able to take the design to multiple parties to compete. Appreciate any experienced thoughts about this, I want to make sure I am employing my time in the right way. Happy to share model pics if you would like,

Thanks,

Phil

Edited by PhilC

Have you thought about engaging a local architectural consultant to answer your questions? I'm sure someone would be happy to do so on an hourly basis.

I’ve just got approval on building control full plans. I mostly followed an example uploaded on here somewhere, but ended up reading every approved documented. I feel much more clued up now and less likely to make mistakes, especially given I’ve got the full plans approval! 

They were most interested in the structural drawings of part A. I did these by hand. The rest was mostly just written in a document saying I would do the things the approved docs said, and heavily referenced them. E.g,

all 1st floor windows to provide emergency escape as per approved doc B paragraph 2.10

4 hours ago, Ferdinand said:

In my experience Building Control themselves are quite approachable - if you have concerns they may be able to clarify.

Will see if i can get a conversation with a local BCO, thanks

5 hours ago, Ferdinand said:

In my experience Building Control themselves are quite approachable - if you have concerns they may be able to clarify.

Yes my BCO was a great chap, down to earth and accepting of new build methods 👍

42 minutes ago, PhilC said:

Thanks Liam, much appreciated will take a look.

I've been meaning to blog my project for a while, so you've just encourage me to share what i've done so far, here's the full plans with all drawings, hope it helps and good luck!

11 hours ago, LiamJones said:

I've been meaning to blog my project for a while, so you've just encourage me to share what i've done so far, here's the full plans with all drawings, hope it helps and good luck!

Great stuff really helpful Liam! Hope the project is going well

2 hours ago, PhilC said:

Some pics, work in progress still

found_sub.JPG

Found_layout.JPG

Drainage.JPG

BeamBlock_upstands.JPG

DPM.JPG

EPS.JPG

UFH.JPG

scree.JPG

Steels_studs.JPG

Ground_Timber_frame.JPG

Ground_Timber_frame_panels.JPG

1st_Timber_frame.JPG

rendered.JPG

planning.JPG

Nice, they looks awesome, what software are you using? It’s far more than I did, I just had sections of key areas and a floor plan! So I’m sure BC will be happy