DIY Planning for Garage Conversion?

Hi

We are converting an internal garage which needs PP due to it being a condition of the original PP to build the extension in the 80s.

Anyway, we are keeping the roller garage door and building a stud wall 60cm back from it so the room is going to be 4.5m x 3m. It already has a window to the front of the house so visually from the outside nothing is changing, it’s literally going to be stud walls, raising the floor and insulation.

PP seems to be site plan and location plan which I can buy online

Then a before and after floor plan to scale. 

Then elevation drawings to scale but do I need these if nothing is changing visually?

If it’s just a scaled floorplan, I feel like I can do this myself to save the architect fees?

Thanks 

You will need to provide existing plans and elevations. If the elevations do not change, just provide a copy of the existing and note them up as proposed.

If you think you can do them yourself, then crack on. You’ll soon be informed by the LPA if they’re not sufficient.

+1 

But I wouldn't just write "Proposed" on them. Write in big letters something like..

"Existing elevation. This application involves NO changes to the external appearance"

I doubt it will go to committee but you would be surprised how dumb some of the older members can be. I've sat in the audience at a few meetings and had to bite my tounge. If you just write "proposed" someone might not like it and decide to vote against.

Yeah you can do it yourself. Read the LPA’s ‘validation requirements’ to avoid going back and forth. Be prepared to deal with a little BS in good humour.

Is garage conversion not already permitted development?

1 hour ago, Alan Ambrose said:

Yeah you can do it yourself. Read the LPA’s ‘validation requirements’ to avoid going back and forth. Be prepared to deal with a little BS in good humour.

Is garage conversion not already permitted development?

Read the OP’s opening paragraph. 

Oh yeah I see - I found the language a bit confusing…

Another option is to apply to remove the condition. Worth a shot since v easy and quick to do - probably citing modern garage conversion PD rules. Also , if the LPA is going to dig its heels in, then it’ll probably do so both for removal of the condition and also for a full application.

An informal call if it’s one of the LPAs that still talks to its customers?

Thanks all, sounds like the Removal of PD condition + appeal might be the first port of call as this will not require drawings anyway.

These are the conditions listed against the original extension:

Conditions.jpg

No doubt the purpose of the original condition was to ensure there was sufficient parking on site. As part of the application I would add a blockplan showing that even without the garage being available there was still adequate parking within the site. Ideally I would look up the relevant car parking standard for your size of house (i.e number of spaces for bedroom number) and show how you still satisfy that standard once the garage is discounted.

3 hours ago, johndeere said:

Fee seems to be £357 including VAT for Removal/variation of conditions

Don’t bother with that application as when it’s in relation to Householder applications, the VoC application fee is always more. Just proceed with the preparation and submission of a Householder application.

7 minutes ago, DevilDamo said:

Don’t bother with that application as when it’s in relation to Householder applications, the VoC application fee is always more. Just proceed with the preparation and submission of a Householder application.

I am trying to avoid needing drawings and going through full PP so £357 seems worth it if I can remove the condition no?

5 minutes ago, johndeere said:

I am trying to avoid needing drawings and going through full PP so £357 seems worth it if I can remove the condition no?

Whichever type of application you choose, you will still need to provide a location plan, block plan, existing plans/elevations and proposed plans/elevations.

Both applications can take up to 8 weeks to be determined.

A Householder application is cheaper than a Variation of Condition application.

Take your pick.

I have filled out the VOC form on the Planning Portal and it doesn't require any diagrams, it says:

"You do not need to provide a site boundary or location plan for this application type"

VOC It just asks for details of the original PP for the Extension and a box to explain what condition you want amended/removed and why. No option to add any documentation. 

1 hour ago, johndeere said:

I have filled out the VOC form on the Planning Portal and it doesn't require any diagrams, it says:

"You do not need to provide a site boundary or location plan for this application type"

VOC It just asks for details of the original PP for the Extension and a box to explain what condition you want amended/removed and why. No option to add any documentation. 

Just submit the application and see what the LPA say.

>>> Just submit the application and see what the LPA say.

Left to their own devices, the LPA may just repeat whatever guff they had in the original '80s permission.

Hence, I think it's best to try and get some informal engagement with the case officer if possible with the argument that time and PD have moved on since then.

The only way applicants and/or agents can obtain informal advice from an LPA is via a Pre-application enquiry. I don’t know how or why that would be of any use in this situation. It’d just be another added expense and delay… not to mention the OP would need to accompany that Pre-app with drawings… which the OP is trying “very” hard to avoid.

It would not take a lot of time or money to get a technician to put together some plans. Especially a technician who knows or works with the OP’s LPA a lot.

Edited by DevilDamo

>>> The only way applicants and/or agents can obtain informal advice from an LPA is via a Pre-application enquiry.

Depends on the LPA. Some will be old school and talk, some will do everything to avoid that - even if you submit formal applications. And some will be in between. @johndeere - which LPA is it?

LPA is Medway. Tried to call them

multiple times but nobody answers or you get VM.

Thinking I may as well just get the floor and elevation drawings done and just give PP a shot. If they say no, they say no.

Thanks 

10 minutes ago, johndeere said:

Thinking I may as well just get the floor and elevation drawings done and just give PP a shot. If they say no, they say no.

And if they do you can appeal, I did and won and it’s not difficult.

• Like 1