Lighting a built-in Mirror

Guest Alphonsox

Guest Alphonsox

I am currently looking at options to light an internal feature mirror. The mirror is on the rear wall of our stair well and is 1.2m by 1.6m. My current thoughts are to use an LED strip/tape around the inside of the mirror cavity. The cavity will be lined with two layers of thin plasterboard then skimmed. The LED tape will be recessed to the depth of the second layer of plasterboard (effectively stuck to the first layer of plasterboard). I now need to decide on the type of LED strip to use (colour temperature, intensity etc) and whether some form of diffuser is needed.

Has anyone else attempted something like this ? Any recommendations.

mirror.jpg

Guest Alphonsox

The main purpose of the mirror and lighting is to add some "Wow" factor to the stair well. The mirror is set up to reflect light from the front windows during daylight hours and to provide some illumination to the stairs at night. I think a warmer white is probably the colour to go for - Ones that change colour are almost certainly a no-go. My wife is dubious of the whole idea and is already certain this is going to look like a mirror with Christmas tree lights festooned around it. I have assured her otherwise - and now need to deliver!

The big problem with lights around mirrors is the reflection of EVERY little detail. The actual light should be physically hidden but the emmitted light still seen imo, which is hard to achieve. The staggered joint in the layers of plasterboard will need to be hockey-sticked so as to give a clean neat edge so when seen in the reflection it doesn't look like Edward scissor hands did it. 

It's a shame the mirror is fitted as I'd have suggested a frosted ribbon all the way around so you don't see the lights in the reflection, plus that would help diffuse the light a little.

You may wish to illuminate the stairs by creating a lip at the front edge of the cill and run an additional strip under there as a wall wash ( vertically down from the window ledge ) which could look nice if done properly. Don't dismiss the colour change ones too quickly as it may be advantageous to be able to select a hue and fix the colour accordingly ( if these kits are capable of 'locking' the colour selection between on / off events, without manual intervention. You could have some nice solid colours like pastels etc. Not so garish then imo?

If possible to offset the mirror from the wall a tad I would tuck an led strip of mini lights, warm white, just in behind the edge so the light comes out of the narrow space around. Hope that makes sense. A bit like Declan's lower pic, but tighter space and less offset (only need 10-15mm), it would mean remaking your 'frame'.

Guest Alphonsox

Thanks for all the ideas - I think I am going to have to go with some form of surface mount strip (unfortunately we don't have the time to remake the frame or reset the mirror). I can't see any neat way of lighting the curved section but I can run something like this on the verticals.

http://www.mr-resistor.co.uk/item.aspx?i=12280

http://www.tagra-lighting.co.uk/led-channel/channel-type/standard-series/aluminium-channel-extrusion-profile-corner-16-x-16mm.html?gclid=CO-j7aqhos0CFdQaGwod-M8D7g

Using surface mount will also allow me to trial various options before any physical attachment.

12 minutes ago, Alphonsox said:

Thanks for all the ideas - I think I am going to have to go with some form of surface mount strip (unfortunately we don't have the time to remake the frame or reset the mirror). I cant see any neat way of lighting the curved section but I can run something like this on the verticals.

http://www.mr-resistor.co.uk/item.aspx?i=12280

http://www.tagra-lighting.co.uk/led-channel/channel-type/standard-series/aluminium-channel-extrusion-profile-corner-16-x-16mm.html?gclid=CO-j7aqhos0CFdQaGwod-M8D7g

Using surface mount will also allow me to trial various options before any physical attachment.

I don't know a product, but can't you just get them on reels of "tape" rather than aluminium tracks, wich would be flexible?

Edited by Ferdinand

I'm trying to figure an LED strip detail for my bath side alcove. Had a play with a cheapo plug in set (LIDL were doing them for I think a fiver). Useful just to have a play with. What I didn't want was them glaring at you as you're lying relaxing in it. It'll therefore be some sort of roll over lip. Seeing them lit I also think something dimmable and coloured rather that pure white will be better:

2v2tczt.jpg

21wndi.jpg

684vps.jpg

Going to stick a length of 20mm galv down the wall within the PIR as a duct for supplying whatever I go with. 

Edited by Onoff

5 hours ago, Nickfromwales said:

Use 25mm PVC ;). Galv is a bit ott

I know where I am with galv, it's <50mm below the surface etc. 

Then I'll only have to fret over whether I'll ever get the end rusting where I put it into the coupler, even though I'll clean and zinc spray after threading. That and the whole air tightness thing with the conduit running up through the VCL! xD

Off to find some stainless conduit now.....;)

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Alphonsox

Still haven't sorted the lighting, but the plastering couldn't wait so will need to be added later.

Edited by Alphonsox
Image deleted due to copyright issues