Hi

Jml

Hi everyone.

Just got planning application passed for an extension on our 1950's bungalow.  We did the design ourselves (long story) and now need to get building regulations done. 

First forum I've joined so hope can contribute something as well as asking lots questions.

We previously had an old farmhouse in Wales which we wanted to upgrade and build a large extension.   Three architects later we eventually got planning permission.  

The first after a number of interviews,we chose, as his ideas seemed good.  Unfortunately, when it came to doing the work we got a student on summer work, whose design had no redeeming features only bad ones so we sacked them.  The second architect presented a design, which we did not like the roof, thinking design was a two way process we suggested alternatives and were promptly sacked by him.  The third essentially just converted our ideas to CAD.  

Consequently, we have lost faith in the architectural process, so I decided to learn CAD using Draftsight.  We actually moved to Soctland, before we upgraded the house in Wales, and did the Building Warrant documemtation ourselves, for upgrading a Victorian house there.  That having gone ok, we decided to do the planning application for our current house ourselves.

Now in South East England.  We moved back to Scotland just in time for the two winters from hell in the Highlands, 2009, 2010 where the garden and surrounds were covered in feet of snow for months and even getting somewhere to walk the dogs was difficult!  So we retreated back South to our current house.

4 minutes ago, MikeSharp01 said:

I hear good stuff about draftsight - what do you think of it?

Find it nice and easy to use, needs bit of practice and am sure I dont use all its features, but it does what I need.  Its easy to print drawing or parts of drawings, to scale or otherwise.  We just have free version, so no 3d, but can easily transfer plans to Sketchup, to build 3d model if required.  

3 minutes ago, ProDave said:

We "Escaped" the SE of England in 2003, it was getting too busy and congested for us.

Two are totally different ways of living, we still often stay in the Highlands, especilly in the summer months.