Insulating eaves

Del-inquent

Our Chalet bungalow has a hell of a lot of cold areas. Notably, the stud wall upstairs and the tops of the walls downstairs. There is currently insulation above the ceiling and in the cavity walls, but the areas with a red border have nothing at all. I've got (limited!) access into the eaves for a short while and am wondering how would be best to approach insulating these areas, particularly the bit between the cavity / soffit and the ceiling. I can just about get my hand down into that area by pulling back the current insulation between the floor joists.

Please excuse poor diagram, hopefully you can work out what I mean from it.

insulation question.png

Edited by Del-inquent

I have a similar (worse) problem. Ive got a 45 degree slopy bit as the eaves are lower than celing height.

These are either completely uninsulated or stuffed with rock wall and cutting off airflow. 

I see no option to do it properly other than removing the the lower rows of roof tiles, membrane and battens.

I could do it from inside but it will be a thermal bridge nightmare.

• 4 weeks later...

Hope you dont mind me resurrecting this post.  I am looking to insulate elderly parents bungalow.  We had a discussion with Eco Consultant but their costs and cost of EWI was far more than we want to pay/would earn back over many years, so we are looking to do it ourselves, hopefully with advice from here. 

The front of the bungalow is likely to be twin brick cavity with no insulation.  (bricks laid lengthways) with an overhang from the roof.  I am thinking of adding cavity wall insulation to the wall but I am also concerned about the lack of insulation at the top f the wall, under the soffits and into the attic, where we cannot reach to improve the insulation.

Any pointers where I may find the best way of insulating that area?  I am thinking we will have to remove the lower line of tiles/felt as mentioned by Roger above but what should be do then?? 

Thanks.  I will try to get some photographs of the front wall and soffit when there on Monday.

I have, in the past, done a 'downstand' of PIR/plasterboard internally to cloak the thermal bridge caused by lack of CWI behind the fascias. Oversail on the inside by about 300mm compared with the est'd position of the top of the insulation outside.

• Like 1