Tin roof sound / options

ColdOutside

Redoing a lean to shed against third party wall to turn into office.

It has a 20 degree pitch. 2m x 5.6m.

Current tile felt has failed and it’s leaking, it’s probably 20 years old so stripping and re doing.

Looking at either 50mm warm roof or keeping current rafters and putting some insulation between as don’t want to raise the height.

final finished options are. Felt, rubber or looking at these tin options as walls will be black clad so may go well with it https://www.cladco.co.uk/sheets/32-1000-box-profile-0-7-pvc-plastisol-coated-roof-sheet however will it be noisy if it rains?

what other cost effective options are there. The ridge will be chased into third party wall with lead. 

It really depends on the roof build up. My plastisol coated metal garage roof is metal clad 80mm PIR 35° pitch and very noisy when it rains such that the rain sounds heavier than it actually is. The  45° pitch standing seam metal roof on the house is completely silent but it sits on a vapour membrane, 18mm plywood, 50mm air gap, 12mm OSB, 350mm insulation, 12mm OSB, air tight membrane, 25mm service void, 15mm plasterboard then plastered so there’s a lot of different materials between the inside and outside. When I say silent I really mean silent. It’s quite odd to step outside into torrential rain and strong winds when you can’t hear it when in the house. 

The flat roof is also very quiet. It uses a membrane (Awitra VSK) and has a similar build up. It’s not silent though. 

Edited by Kelvin

9 hours ago, saveasteading said:

Single skin metal with insulation and ceiling below will also be fairly quiet.

I've found that people prefer a slight rain sound rather than silence. Not for a voncert hsll or recording studio obviously.

Yes it’s odd how quiet it is. It’s less quiet upstairs though as you can hear the rain hit the rooflights. 

Maximising roof height mandates minimising roofing thickness. Corrugated sheets will not help with this. Rubber is obviously the thinnest you can go for and you can chase this directly into the wall, no need for lead.

My outbuidling has an (as-yet uninsulated)  15° slope, 12mm OSB and loose-laid rubber roof. The rain makes a very pleasing dull thrumming noise

Regards

Tet