Drainage conundrum!

alex199

Just wondering if anyone had any ideas how to fix this and get rid of the open hopper, see pic, have rainwater running into an open hopper with upstairs flat's bathroom sink and shower waste, all goes into an old Victorian combined communal sewer, everything - greywater, sewage etc. Have had some works, new front door etc all looks very nice apart from this, open hoppers are a big nono with building regs apparently as is unsanitary, does a stack exist where I could join it all into one -see pic? could I join the 2 grey waste pipes from upstairs flat into 1 then connect onto rainwater drain pipe? - also hopper currently pushes the drain pipe out at an angle which also looks awful. 

1.jpg

Edited by alex199
pic

Two ways. 

1. Remove the cast iron  and replace in plastic. 

2 run a new plastic pipe next to the cast iron, run it vertically up to pick up the rainwater with a junction to pick up the bathroom. 

If you cannot fit 110mm beside it I think the next size down is 75-80 ish. 

Will take some hunting around for the correct fittings if you deviate from 110 but definitely achievable. 

You can probably get a strap on boss to go on the cast iron, but trying to cut/drill it will be fun, you also have the issue of the height by the window as it would need to go under that toilet junction. 

Edited by Russell griffiths

You see this sort of thing a lot when bits have been added.

It will make life much easier if you lose the cast iron soil pipe and replace with plastic.  I would also be tempted to run the r/w downpipe to the right of the soil pipe and connect the bathroom wastes into the new soil with strap on bosses.

It is a bit of messing and you will need to alter the gutter.  Someone else may have a brighter suggestion.

If connecting to the cast iron stack, id definiitely be checking it not blocked at the base. A 100 years plus of rusty scale falling done can often block it up as no actual fluids run done it to keep it clear.