Nudura window reveals with timber cladding

Good evening,

I'm currently working towards getting a survey done by my window company, so trying to get the openings into their finished state and apply a render basecoat.

I've been looking at the reveal details and have done some sketches, so it would be great if I could get any feedback on them.

The exterior finish is render on the ground floor and timber cladding on the first floor. There are a few windows which are vertically aligned on both floors. The openings in the nudura walls are identical width on both floors, but I'm keen that the cladding upstairs does not obscure the window frames so that everything lines up. Chamfering the EPS seems to be an option to me, but I wondered if others had any thoughts?

Any comments on any other aspect also welcome!

First floor reveal.JPG

Ground floor reveal.JPG

It's an interesting proposal. 

It's labour intensive and will be a messy PITA, but certainly do-able. 

My first thought is that you will have a 10mm gap between the Nudura and the frame, and so you will only lose a further 10mm of the window frame - is that such a problem?

How will you secure the reveal timber to the metal bracket? It is going to be a self tapper through the timber into the bracket? Might look a bit messy? You could simply adhere the reveal timber to the cladding and use small pins to provide a bit more support, using something like CT1?

For cutting EPS/XPS, I found out of a saw, hot wire cutter and a multi cutter, the multi cutter was by far the easiest and best finish. 

Really look into the steel angle brackets, i'd be a little concerned of rusting and/or bleeding and discolouring the cladding but the theory of it all looks good

There is a company that makes profiles for the cladding that would be exposed, non rusting or bleeding and look aesthetically pleasing, I can't remember the name of the manufacturer but I'm sure your supplier would have access to them

5 hours ago, jamiehamy said:

It's an interesting proposal. 

It's labour intensive and will be a messy PITA, but certainly do-able. 

My first thought is that you will have a 10mm gap between the Nudura and the frame, and so you will only lose a further 10mm of the window frame - is that such a problem?

How will you secure the reveal timber to the metal bracket? It is going to be a self tapper through the timber into the bracket? Might look a bit messy? You could simply adhere the reveal timber to the cladding and use small pins to provide a bit more support, using something like CT1?

For cutting EPS/XPS, I found out of a saw, hot wire cutter and a multi cutter, the multi cutter was by far the easiest and best finish. 

Thanks Jamie,

re. the point on only 10mm. It is true that it is not a lot and I could reduce the thickness of the timber to help further. However, I was also concerned that the timber hard up against render might get damp. Being a novice, I'm not sure what is normal, is that a legitimate concern?

I was going to screw the brackets to the reveal timber from the back first and then fix to the batten (wouldn't be able to take it off again easily, but not a big issue I would have thought). 

3 hours ago, ChrisJ said:

Really look into the steel angle brackets, i'd be a little concerned of rusting and/or bleeding and discolouring the cladding but the theory of it all looks good

There is a company that makes profiles for the cladding that would be exposed, non rusting or bleeding and look aesthetically pleasing, I can't remember the name of the manufacturer but I'm sure your supplier would have access to them

That's a good point, I'll keep that in mind if I go down this route. Thanks

I would go the other direction. 

Add a 25mm strip of EPS onto the window reveal to cover 25mm of the frame.   Thermally window frames are really weak and should ideally be hidden behind insulation. 

Render the reveals on the rendered section as normal and render the reveals on the clad section in a colour to match the window frames. You can have a common detail throughout then.

17 minutes ago, Iceverge said:

I would go the other direction. 

Add a 25mm strip of EPS onto the window reveal to cover 25mm of the frame.   Thermally window frames are really weak and should ideally be hidden behind insulation. 

Render the reveals on the rendered section as normal and render the reveals on the clad section in a colour to match the window frames. You can have a common detail throughout then.

Did someone say check reveal?

8 minutes ago, FM2015 said:

Did someone say check reveal?

Indeed. I'm a big fan.

I know your company supplies them. I'd be interested in seeing an example of what it's like. 

As advertising isn't allowed maybe a pencil sketch? 

Thanks very much for these ideas.

Having a common detail and the window bead for rendering both look good.

I'm in Gloucestershire near the Severn, a little bit exposed, but not massively.

The width of the fixed bit of my Norrsken window frames will only be 29mm, so I don't have a lot of space for an eps check reveal plus bead and I'd end up obscuring it completely, whereas I'd quite like to see a little bit of the frame ( though i do note the thermal points).

I'm thinking of skipping the eps, but using the bead to render up to the window and as above skipping having timber in the reveal. However I've seen other threads suggesting rendering all the way through behind the window frame to aid sealing the window. I could still do this - first base coat, then fit window, then fit bead and second base coat and then final render?