Boarding Loft Advice

Good Evening, as you can probably tell by my latest posts that I am working in the loft!

My next dilemma is the loft boarding, I have 8 x 2”  (200x47mm) @ 600mm centres ceiling joists upstairs and I am planning to install 200mm isover spacesaver in between the joists and then the same ran over the top perpendicular.

What would be the best way to board the loft when insulating this way? 

Legs? Never used them before but I just feel they maybe be quite flimsy. Is there a way to firm them up at all?

The only thing I am not too keen on is tongue and groove floorboards as they are pain to get access beneath if needs be. But if that’s the best option then so be it.

Many Thanks 

8 hours ago, richo106 said:

I will have a lot of rows, suppose I can just circular saw holes to access if need be.

The most popular legs I’ve seen are only 175mm…would they be ok for 200mm insulation? 

I used loft legs XL (300mm) on the current house, really solid once the floor is locking them all together. Squashing 200mm insulation to 175mm would leave you roughly the same r value as 175mm insulation so it's up to you whether head height or the extra 25mm insulation are more important.

When you say lots of rows, even with 600mm chipboard perpendicular to joists? Is the joist designed for it as that sounds like a long span?

Don't squash the insulation. Leave a ventilation gap between it and the boards. I lifted a board of a beautifully-constructed storage platform during a survey and water dripped off the underside. Yes, that loft had other undiagnosed (till then) ventilation issues, but best practice usually involves a gap between insulation and storage platform.

Thank you @S2D2 and @Redbeard I will be going with the Loft Legs XL

Sorry for more daft questions, do you glue the boards together? And I'm guessing you can screw into the loft legs to fix the boards done

Would it best to use the larger sheets? 18mm chipboard - 2400mm x 600mm

I have around 66m2 to do (see attached picture)

Loft Insulation.png

10 hours ago, richo106 said:

Thank you @S2D2 and @Redbeard I will be going with the Loft Legs XL

Sorry for more daft questions, do you glue the boards together? And I'm guessing you can screw into the loft legs to fix the boards done

Would it best to use the larger sheets? 18mm chipboard - 2400mm x 600mm

I have around 66m2 to do (see attached picture)

Loft Insulation.png

Yes I used 2.4x0.6m 18mm sheets, staggered joins and you screw the boards to each leg. No glue, didn't see the point and in case of access.