Health and Safety CDM 2015

Nick Sheppard

Hi all

I've done a few projects myself and visited many, I'm not selling anything but want to offer everyone one on here free, health and safety advice under statute law of CDM. I am a fully qualified CDM Advisor and find self build personnel find it very confusing and want to help.

@LnP Hi, it is a good guide but would be far too generic for big projects for example builds, also would only produce a simple CPP, would be ok for a simple kitchen change or fencing. 

if you have multiple sub contractors working within the project more would be required. 

@nod Hi, yes these are a few of the things required, but under cdm there is much more required under the regulation and all depending on the size and duration of the works being carried out. Look at L153 publication which states what is required however you need to know how to understand and read the document  as it very much regulation written. 

Welcome - we always welcome experts :) There are many on here from lots of different disciplines and they are generally very generous with their knowledge.

These two threads (below) summarise the current state of our hive mind on CDM. It would be interesting to see whether you agree...

We have a few different build set-ups depending on how much bought-in skill we're each using on our self-builds.

Some pointers on how each of those should work and the gotcha's involved would be very welcome.

1 hour ago, Alan Ambrose said:

Welcome - we always welcome experts :) There are many on here from lots of different disciplines and they are generally very generous with their knowledge.

These two threads (below) summarise the current state of our hive mind on CDM. It would be interesting to see whether you agree...

We have a few different build set-ups depending on how much bought-in skill we're each using on our self-builds.

Some pointers on how each of those should work and the gotcha's involved would be very welcome.

in practice you will be lucky to get trades to wear a viz vest on a self build 

Very different on large commercial sites that I work on each day  

A small one off Trades will take little or no notice of you 

I just got the feeling from initial post that we where about to be sold something 

May be wrong 😑 

1 hour ago, Alan Ambrose said:

Well pressing on :)

I think these are the main 'use cases' if you'll pardon that term:

(1) (Packaged) Client uses one main company for nearly everything (MBC for instance). Company is principal designer and contractor and has full CDM responsibilities.. Client ('domestic client') may still be expected to "take all reasonable steps to satisfy themselves that the dutyholders are competent..."

(2) (Architect & Main Contractor) Client uses a single principal designer and principal contractor. Architect sub-contracts SE etc to third parties. Principals run CDM between them. Client is still 'domestic client'.

(3) (Architect & Client Project Manages Sub-Contractors) Client uses a single principal designer but not certain who the principal contractor is - presumably the Client. Who has CDM responsibilities?

(4) (Client Designs & Project Manages Sub-Contractors) Client is principal designer & principal contractor - presumably also runs CDM.

Actually (4) is my case, so I'm keen to get clarification on that one :)

Edited by Alan Ambrose

Have you looked at he HSE run site https://selfbuildportal.org.uk/healthandsafety/

They describe the above. In short, yes if you are the Client but are also directing work and haven't appointed a PC and are also quacking like PC then you are the PC.

The self builder acts as their own project manager, employing individual trades at different times. In this instance, the self builder steps out of the DIY arena, because they are taking control of construction work. Where a self builder controls the way in which construction work is carried out by a person at work, they must comply with all the matters outlined in Part 4 of CDM 2015. 

• Like 1