Oak frame - belated hello

sunflower

We've got pp to build an oak frame home in Sussex. Currently scratching our heads figuring out the best way to fund it!

The is a belated hello as i have already asked a couple of questions and had brilliant responses. 

Very interested to hear from any other Oak Frame nuts like us, who are hoping to do lots of the build themselves?

• Like 1

Oak framed houses, highly varnished wooden boats, vintage motorbikes, Omega Seamaster watches, pre-war Leica cameras, Umbrian villas: all make me dream .  My god we lusted after an Oak Frame build ..... but couldn't afford to build its garage. Not envious, just hope it goes well for you. 

Seems I'm just going to have to follow your posts then innit. 😐 

• Like 2

On 01/12/2023 at 14:46, ToughButterCup said:

Oak framed houses, highly varnished wooden boats, vintage motorbikes, Omega Seamaster watches, pre-war Leica cameras, Umbrian villas: all make me dream .  My god we lusted after an Oak Frame build ..... but couldn't afford to build its garage. Not envious, just hope it goes well for you. 

Seems I'm just going to have to follow your posts then innit. 😐 

We haven't quite found out how we're going to fund it yet! 🤔🤣 We're very determined though, we'll be doing about 50% of the build ourselves and know it will take years, but both my husband and I are stubborn and don't like to compromise! There's an awful lot of work up ahead of us 😬

Oh yes @Alan Ambrose, and McGruer yachts (Helensborough) , German Beaver-Tail slating, and irreverent  gargoyls.

Oak frames lend themselves to small bits of architectural wood carving. Loads of inspiration in older North German houses. One famous one is called the Dukatenscheisser. Literally translated, the DucatShitter. The saying goes that the house cost so much that they had to get the ducatshitter to pay for the build.

History repeats itself doesn't it.

• Like 1

Oak framing does not have to be expensive if well designed. After all, you are substituting another building material for oak frame. I'd say the majority of the extra costs can be associated with additional time required with finisihing details around the oak frame. For example, if you have lots of oak studs, joists and braces, then this creates panels with loads of details to finish to; battening, plastering, running cables around etc. 

In addition, you have to consider where services interact with an exposed timber frame. Such as plumbing, MVHR pipes etc. 

Good luck with it though. Happy to share my opinions on here, though it is a forum, so take them with a pinch of salt!

• Like 1