ASHP buffer

JohnMo

9 minutes ago, JohnMo said:

So garden room UFH, although just about works, really isn't much use at heat pump temperatures.

So a bit of research later, have purchased a fan coil unit. A Myson iVector MK2. Bargain from eBay, about a 1/3 the normal price.

It is a 4 pipe fan coil, so has two heat exchanges, one for heating and one for cooling, I will pipe both heat exchanges to a single pipe in a parallel. This should increase heat transfer area and hopefully be able to run slightly cooler.

Fan coils come with a temperature sensor, and the normal set point is 32 degrees for the fan to start. So the water has to be above 32 degs to get the heater running.  But the Myson one has an adjustable set point, so should simplify setup.

So far have mounted it on the wall. Intend to use the UFH manifold to feed the fan coil, with the Salus actuators to manage a 7 deg dT.

Heater on wall, with cover off and onIMG_20240109_1552082.thumb.jpg.456d4630db2bb3f5a8ddc6424b026d01.jpgIMG_20240109_1517542.thumb.jpg.4118e019a9a74aa690fc4b1a7ecde6cc.jpg

Will be very interested in outcome as I am trying a similar thing with the reverso unit to replace a failed UFH system though the system currently gas powered. 

My problem is the water comes in to summer house, at the other side of the building to the heater. So have to some how, get the pipes around the room without being an eye sore.

20 minutes ago, SteamyTea said:

That is a nice looking unit and the sound levels seem very decent.

Does it have filters on the air intake side?

Bottom intake has removable, and cleanable filters.

23 minutes ago, SteamyTea said:

That's good.

Probably why they are normally quite expensive then (not that I have found a retail price for one).

Found 2 pipe version one online at £901 incl vat. 

44 minutes ago, SteamyTea said:

More than a through the wall ASHP then.

A bit bonkers really, good job I only paid a fraction of that.

With high water temp it will chuck out 6kW, something a through wall would never do.

1 minute ago, JohnMo said:

With high water temp it will chuck out 6kW, something a through wall would never do.

Enough to heat a sauna, most domestic ones are only 4.5 kW, though they do chuck out air at a couple of hundred Celsius.

The myson looks like a nicer product than the smiths… something I’ll consider when we do the bathroom renovation this year. Got a smiths 12v one at the moment and it could do with being bigger.