Quote for groundworks, include drainage?

24 minutes ago, markc said:

Unless you specifically mentioned connection to sewer or treatment plant etc. then it wouldn’t have been included as this would be an unknown.

I have had conversations with my proposed groundworker that included re routing an existing foul drain that runs across my plot under my house footprint. So i regard the subject as 'discussed on site.

Same conversation with the TF company contracts manager and the initial salesman. Also both while on site.  As a novice to this house building lark i dont know what else i should have done to set expectations.

13 minutes ago, Post and beam said:

I have had conversations with my proposed groundworker that included re routing an existing foul drain that runs across my plot under my house footprint. So i regard the subject as 'discussed on site.

Same conversation with the TF company contracts manager and the initial salesman. Also both while on site.  As a novice to this house building lark i dont know what else i should have done to set expectations.

1. Talk on site and discuss 

2. follow up with an e mail

3. Follow on with drawings, specification, contact numbers for local council, copies of any consent you have to connect to sewer. 

Whitin the first minutes of driving away from a meeting I would probably get another call from another client

follow up everything, I’m afraid your just another punter in the long list of punters. 

The squeaky wheel gets the oil.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Post and beam said:

For those that have been through this process, i have a quote for my groundworks that makes no mention of the drainage away to the sewer.  Is it usual to include drainage or to have it as a separate quote please?

Yes , I would expect there to bean additional quote if it hasn't been mentioned. There will surely be a need for some materials, so who supplies that?

I too got caught out when we built a number of years ago. I provided the plans to our builder for the stand alone timber framed carport and integeral shed as part of my tender package. His groundworks quote came in but the final invoice was a lot higher than I had expected. This was simply down to the fact that I had not specifically included the footings / concrete floor and dwarf wall in the initial tender package - he thought the Timber frame erectors were going to do that. ! 

I suppose it all comes down to communication - something not to be dismissed lightly and yet so pivital for a succesful project.