Balancing Rads on sealed system

Dee

While I wait on a dodgy company to resolve a dodgy shower door I've decided to try and balance my CH system. I have searched this forum but most discussions seem to be for UFH, heat pumps ect not so much for conventional setups.

I know how to balance but my question is....if I totally shut down rads on both the TRV and LS does this then unbalance the system and i have to do it again the following autumn? 

I have a large house so most rooms are shut up for the winter and I shut all those rads off ...is this correct?

Edited by Dee

Don’t isolate rads during winter, turn the try’s down to a minimum but keep some circulation to prevent blockages. I’m not a plumber and others on here could say the opposite but on hydraulic systems we like to keep some flow.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Dee said:

I know how to balance but my question is....if I totally shut down rads on both the TRV and LS does this then unbalance the system and i have to do it again the following autumn?

No. You balance the radiators with the TRVs removed or fully open. Once the lock shields have been adjusted the system shouldn't need rebalancing. You can shutdown radiators with the TRVs with impunity.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Dee said:

I have a large house so most rooms are shut up for the winter and I shut all those rads off ...is this correct?

Why would you turn the lockshields down unless it's to remove the radiator

If the system is balanced and you need to remove a rad so close the LS - count the turns to close and note it down so you can restore it when the rad is refitted

If you don't want to heat all rooms in the winter turn the TRV down to the frost setting - leave the LS alone

No flow at one end is no flow thro the rad

• Thanks 1