1F felt at the ridge ( Bats)

Canski

Has anyone else had this problem ?

I have been told by the ecologists that I have to use 1F felt on my roof and install a bat ridge tunnel. 

My roofer says that I need to cut the felt short of the ridge to provide ventilation. I have searched for a detail but I've not  found one showing this (or any detail for a ridge) using 1F felt although Batman tells me that a bat tunnel is simple.....  

'Creating a ridge tunnel is as easy as it gets, you basically leave a gap in the mortar under each ridge tile, along the entire length of the ridge, you can take a 2cm deep cut out of a ridge tile to then allow access for bats into this area, preferably one at each end.'

I told the ecologist that Bats will enter my roof space if the roofer leaves the 1 F felt short of the ridge which I obviously don't want. I have emailed my LABC and am waiting for a reply from him but I think that he is busy.

I thought that we had to use dry ridge these days to comply with building regs but I may be wrong.

Any ideas how I tackle this ?

Agree, ask the ecologist if there are alternative solutions. We have two raised bat tiles on the roof, they look quite sweet, and we have dry ridge, plus a box on the house and another in a nearby tree. An architect in Grand Designs designed neat little slits in the wall of a house. Might any of these be acceptable instead? If your Natural England licence (costs about £900) has been granted tho, I think it will be too late (I don't know if another submission is allowed). 

It’s down to the ecologist to decide, with my planning appeal (the planners wanted one thing and the BC another) the appeal officer said the ecologist is the expert not the planners and decided with the ecologist. (2  boxes built into the roof of the garage with access via holes under the ridge. It also depends on the type of bat  present.

15 hours ago, Jilly said:

If your Natural England licence (costs about £900) has been granted tho, I think it will be too late (I don't know if another submission is allowed). 

This has already been granted

Just now, nod said:

Job done 

The problem with Eco surveys is that they are often not workable 

Ours shows root Protection that would have blocked any vehicle access

We submitted this but had to ignore it 

No trees lost 

• 3 weeks later...

Ohhh grrrrrr if I wasn't already riled at the cost of Alutrix 600 my bat boxes arrived today. I am in the wrong game for sure. 1 x Plinth brick £2.20 a tile £1.20 2 shitty bits of concrete £0.50 and some glue. Add that all together and it comes to £160  The world has gone bat shit crazy.

IMG_4290.jpeg

56 minutes ago, Canski said:

The world has gone bat shit crazy.

I agree, luckily my ecologist was very reasonable and allowed me to build bat boxes myself into my garage to their basic design (left over ply etc), also when I won the planning appeal the  officer told the planners they were not qualified to overrule the ecologist and insist bat boxes were also installed in the house 👍.

• Like 1