Leaking windows in a timber frame

BartW

Hi,

I am after some advice...

We have windows and sliding doors in the timber frame, and a couple of them are leaking. One is in fact allowing water to pour into the property.

We have them installed on installation foam, then sealed with silicone on the inside joint, and butted against with plasterboards. There is timber cladding externally, and upon discovery of the leak, I stripped timber and added silicone externally, but that has not helped.

I am now at the point where I need to miracle something out before we move in four weeks time.

How do others do in in a timber frame construction?

Many thanks!

Bart

Yes, lots more info and pics, please.

How deep a reveal are they on? Is the leak all round? Is it concentrated at the top/sides/... where? Have you established that the leak is at the window-frame - timber frame joint? Could it be the opening lights somehow not sealing?

Lots more please!

• Like 1

14 hours ago, BartW said:

How do others do in in a timber frame construction?

Check the drains / weep holes.

Even if the seals are FUBAR the windows should drain to outside.

If these are PVC windows the water which DOES pass the outer seals in driving rain will go into the BOTTOM of the frame, then out of weep holes EITHER in the bottom of the frame or the OUTER face of the frame.

If you have inadvertently sealed these (for example by having weep hole on the BOTTOM of the frame, insetting the window and sitting the entire frame on something solid instead of the outer edge of the frame overlapping something that the window can drain onto, then sealing the front face) then the water will weep to the inside.

If you have inadvertently made holes straight through the frame (for example by putting screws through the frame from inside; instead of using the mounting straps that lock into a channel on the outside of the frame) then the water will be may be draining through those screwholes instead.

Post plenty of photos?

• 1 month later...

Hi,

Thanks All for replies.

Sorry, I took some time to get back to this.

I investigated and water gets under GRP and facade treatment, and my suspicion is it drips into the balcony screen U frame then somehow through bolts fixings and gets inside.

I sketched it below:

image.thumb.jpeg.55e6be28c320c16dcc82ffd75279db2b.jpeg