Electrical issues with Vailant Ecomax boiler

jfb

My Vailant ecomax 828/2 E boiler has decided to not turn on any more.

turn the on switch and no display and no firing up.

Switch appears to do something as the voltage detector lights up in the picture when the switch is on but not when it is off.

What would next step be?

just replace the whole board? 
bit confused most replacement boards seem to cost £250ish but this here appears to be £35!

https://www.heatingandcateringparts.com/product/vaillant-ecomax-824-828-835-e-pcb-711949-711950-734678-genuine/?gclid=CjwKCAjwkY2qBhBDEiwAoQXK5RpdtYwRR67RgXrRoexafdtI698Wf4yDEJrTipeVSzXC-3ZNJ93H3hoCe_QQAvD_BwE

IMG_2719.jpeg

Edited by jfb

That looks to be a capacitor in the output circuit of a switching power supply.  By the time it gets that bad, it has usually blown something else, but if you have a soldering iron and feel lucky you could try replacing the light blue one with the top split open.

That £35 one is a "refurbished" used one.  It has a 12 month warranty, but if I bought that I would look at the soldering of the electrolytic capacitors and any that had not been replaced already I would replace with good quality replacements.

• Like 1

Blimey - didn’t see all the replies before ordering a reconditioned board. Arrived last night and fitted this morning and all seems to work!

let’s hope it continues for a while!

thanks for the replies