Looking for some smart automation

JohnMo

Looking for assistance to do some automation.

Background have solar PV, a battery an ASHP and Home Assistant. Also I am on E7. Normal running period for the ASHP is during the night on a low tariff period. Today was better than expected for solar generation, so this afternoon I forced the ASHP to run for an hour. As there was plenty of solar the battery didn't loose much charge during the hour run.

Screenshot_20231030-144017.thumb.jpg.f3bcfccd40326819a5626e5f1052caf2.jpg

The yellow is PV generation, the green band is the house loads, the step up is the ASHP running.

So looking to automate this function. So on a sunny day I can make the most of and run the ASHP. Home assistant has all the PV and battery data already available. The heat pump started and stopped via a zero voltage contact. So is it as simple as adding a smart relay that Home Assistant can control and then making a rule - if battery is above x% and PV generation is above x kW, close relay for one hour or until the battery has depleted to y%?

Any assistance appreciated.

51 minutes ago, JohnMo said:

Looking for assistance to do some automation.

Background have solar PV, a battery an ASHP and Home Assistant. Also I am on E7. Normal running period for the ASHP is during the night on a low tariff period. Today was better than expected for solar generation, so this afternoon I forced the ASHP to run for an hour. As there was plenty of solar the battery didn't loose much charge during the hour run.

Screenshot_20231030-144017.thumb.jpg.f3bcfccd40326819a5626e5f1052caf2.jpg

The yellow is PV generation, the green band is the house loads, the step up is the ASHP running.

So looking to automate this function. So on a sunny day I can make the most of and run the ASHP. Home assistant has all the PV and battery data already available. The heat pump started and stopped via a zero voltage contact. So is it as simple as adding a smart relay that Home Assistant can control and then making a rule - if battery is above x% and PV generation is above x kW, close relay for one hour or until the battery has depleted to y%?

In a word, yes.

Plenty of smart relays, https://shellystore.co.uk/product/shelly-1/ is perhaps easiest. Home Assistant now auto-detects Shelly devices and adds them once they're on your wifi. 

You can power the Shelly from 24V and then use the O/I connections to close the potential free input on the ASHP

Personally I find Home Assistant UI for making automations a bit tedious and prefer the graphical flow editor in my Loxone system. With Home assistant, if you want to trigger only when both A and B are true (e.g. A = generating power, B = battery full) then you need to setup both A and B as the trigger, and also A and B as the condition. This is because triggers are always "ORed" together, but conditions are ANDed (by default).  If there's a nice way to avoid this duplication I'd love to know, as it's littered around several of my config. (I think "install Node Red" maybe the answer)

image.thumb.png.b7dead4076d6440af415cff9785d260b.png

(I used another battery level for illustration here, as it looks like my inverter battery isn't actually connected into my Home Assistant install)