Best Location for Electric supply & Meter

Meabh

So we demolished our old house in March

- had the gas capped by SGN (and smart meter removed by EDF who then asked us to prove it was removed by them...)

- had the electric supply & smart meter moved to a white meter box on a boundary wall facing the street (again dealing with EDF & the smart meter was a total nightmare, SPEN were great).

The new structure is up and ....almost watertight!

We are now deciding what to do about the supply and meter - Options

1. Leave it where it is and the electrician will run the supply through the underground duct already installed under our raft slab into the plant room (builder concerned it could get hit by a car and suggesting we move it onto house....but it could still get hit by a car there and will look ugly)

2.Move it inside the house using the underground duct into the plant room and dealing with SPEN and an electricity supplier.

Which option would you choose? If you choose option 2 do you have an electricity supplier you like (that is not EDF who either remove smart meters and deny it or don't turn up to move the smart meter at all). 

Thanks

2 hours ago, Meabh said:

- had the gas capped by SGN (and smart meter removed by EDF who then asked us to prove it was removed by them...)

- had the electric supply & smart meter moved to a white meter box on a boundary wall facing the street (again dealing with EDF & the smart meter was a total nightmare, SPEN were great).

The new structure is up and ....almost watertight!

We are now deciding what to do about the supply and meter - Options

1. Leave it where it is and the electrician will run the supply through the underground duct already installed under our raft slab into the plant room (builder concerned it could get hit by a car and suggesting we move it onto house....but it could still get hit by a car there and will look ugly)

2.Move it inside the house using the underground duct into the plant room and dealing with SPEN and an electricity supplier.

Which option would you choose? If you choose option 2 do you have an electricity supplier you like (that is not EDF who either remove smart meters and deny it or don't turn up to move the smart meter at all). 

Thanks

We’ve little option due to the distance of the supply 

Ive installed this pre made box buy the boundary and will run a supply into the plant room 

2 hours ago, Meabh said:

18FC9397-F8E1-4109-8F59-47D5EA6373E2.thumb.jpeg.9b1233d1fee721dd6f3a722d53ef2a29.jpeg

• Like 1

Whichever is easiest. Sounds flippant but don’t make life hard for yourself. How likely is it will get hit by a car where it is? 

Mine is in a kiosk on our boundary. I don’t intend moving the meter so here it will stay. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Meabh said:

I've just moved the gas and electricity meters out of the old house into nearby freestanding cabinets in preparation for demolishing the old house. We will live in an on site outbuilding during the self build so need the utilities to continue. The network operators (Cadent for gas and SPEN for electricity) we pretty good to deal with, but energy supplier Eon Next were hopeless. I needed to coordinate installation of the new relocated meters with the new supply connections so we wouldn't be left without supply. I gave up on Eon Next and switched to Octopus because of their reputation for good service and indeed they were much more helpful. For both gas and electricity, their technicians turned up on the day as planned.

On 24/10/2023 at 23:45, LnP said:

I've just moved the gas and electricity meters out of the old house into nearby freestanding cabinets in preparation for demolishing the old house. We will live in an on site outbuilding during the self build so need the utilities to continue. The network operators (Cadent for gas and SPEN for electricity) we pretty good to deal with, but energy supplier Eon Next were hopeless. I needed to coordinate installation of the new relocated meters with the new supply connections so we wouldn't be left without supply. I gave up on Eon Next and switched to Octopus because of their reputation for good service and indeed they were much more helpful. For both gas and electricity, their technicians turned up on the day as planned.

Thank you - I'll try switching to Octopus and then decide if I should move meters again.

EDF did send a technician for the Gas meter - but it took 2 months of photos from us & a letter from SGN who capped the gas to convince them that their technician turned up and removed the smart meter.....