Getting Worktops cut to size...

Tony K

Evening all

I am thinking of opting for this (or similar) off-the-shelf worktop:

https://www.worktop-express.co.uk/black-american-walnut-wooden-worktops/#product-detail-items

It will need to be cut to size and shape. The firm in question offers such a service, though with a slight disclaimer somewhere that the newly exposed part of the worktop may be a different colour/shade to the rest. 

Has anyone experienced this? 

Is it solvable with oiling, staining etc?

Thanks

1 hour ago, Tony K said:

Evening all

I am thinking of opting for this (or similar) off-the-shelf worktop:

https://www.worktop-express.co.uk/black-american-walnut-wooden-worktops/#product-detail-items

It will need to be cut to size and shape. The firm in question offers such a service, though with a slight disclaimer somewhere that the newly exposed part of the worktop may be a different colour/shade to the rest. 

Has anyone experienced this? 

Is it solvable with oiling, staining etc?

Thanks

Used this exact service for standard walnut, no issues at all, it looks great.

• Thanks 1

You may already know this but if you didn’t Ikea also do cut to measure / shape worktops.  I’ve personally had good experiences with their worktops.  I’ve always found their worktops far better than their cabinets.

• Thanks 1

I used worktop express for oak worktops. Seemed a good price and quality. I cut them to size on site (just in case their tape measure is different from mine!) but probably didn't need to worry as the 3m and 4m lengths supplied were within 2mm and spot on 635mm width. Occasionally there's a small knot or bit of filler in one of the timber pieces which can be exposed when a cut is made, which is presumably what the disclaimer is about. I never hit one, and the cut edges when coated with oil look exaclty like the pre-coated edges originally supplied. If the cut edge is against a wall it doesn't matter anyway.

If you're using the cutting service don't forget to allow expansion gaps against walls/cabinets in your measurements.

Edited by Dunc
  • Thanks 1