Bench on radiator

Garald

I have low, broad cast-iron radiators under my living room/library windows. I've been thinking of creating reading nooks covering the windowsills (which exist now because of insulation), extending above the radiators. Is this a good idea, or would it drastically decrease the radiators' effectiveness? Also, how do I keep the radiators from overheating/warping the wood in the long term? (Is there a minimal distance?)

Here is what I have in mind:

image.png.e0835419bd61bf92de79b7d29c7d1a5e.png

Wouldn’t think it would make a difference,  as long as there is a gap all the way around you get bench’s radiator Indeed  I have one in my son’s room, just make sure it has the required output for the heat loss of the room.

11 hours ago, TonyT said:

Wouldn’t think it would make a difference,  as long as there is a gap all the way around you get bench’s radiator Indeed  I have one in my son’s room, just make sure it has the required output for the heat loss of the room.

Sure, I made that calculation at the beginning. The power of the radiator won't get cut?

The contractor was very critical of a drawing made by somebody who is not me, showing a border under the bench seat which would have boxed the radiator in to some extent. According to him, that would get in the way of function. Is that right?

2 hours ago, Garald said:

showing a border under the bench seat which would have boxed the radiator in to some extent. According to him, that would get in the way of function. Is that right?

What do you mean? As said above as long as air can move around the radiator it will function fine.

On 14/10/2023 at 10:00, joe90 said:

What do you mean? As said above as long as air can move around the radiator it will function fine.

Well, air would move around the radiator eventually, but if the bench top is very close to the radiator (1cm, say) and the bench has an apron (that's the term), then the contribution of the two can slow air flow, no? That's at least what the contractor thought.