Flat Roof Problem

Michael12

Hello, my name is Michael, this is my first posting on here and I hope someone out 

there can help me.

My problem is a flat roof I had installed about 6 years ago over my daughters 

bedroom and bathroom (single storey).  I had to call a roofing company to quote on another project that involved a flat roof. The man that came to quote told me that the flat roof over my daughters bedroom/bathroom had de-lamented and I should get it looked at. So i called the company that installed the flat roof and they came and took a look and said to 

me is it leaking? I said no but its de-laminated. They said what is does de-laminated mean, as they had never heard of that term. They inspected the roof and said there’s nothing wrong with it.

I said the plywood/insulation is moving in places, and showed them by pushing it up and down. They said that’s my fault for walking on it.

Also, you can see the screw heads popping up from under the membrane and parts

of the membrane are bulging out. They said that’s normal and are refusing to fix it.

I have attached some pictures.

Any help/advice would be much appreciated.

Many thanks

Photo 1.png

Photo 3.png

Photo 5.png

Which specific product is it.? How do they fit it without walking on it? The guys that fitted ours made a big point that you can walk on it as I’d covered up to allow us access to the other roof. I was more worried about something sharp being dropped onto it. 

They’re taking piss frankly. They might never have heard the term delaminate before but they can tell if the glue has failed and the membrane has detached from the deck. Was there any warranty provision for it? It’s concerning that the plywood is moving do you have more information about that? 

55 minutes ago, Kelvin said:

They’re taking piss frankly

Usual routine. Deny, then blame you, then next they will deny responsibility through time or bad luck. Then hide.

Perhaps genuinely ignorant. More likely incompetent and immoral.

Do you know what product it is? Perhaps the supplier can help to maintain their name.

Hi Kelvin

Many thanks for replying.

As far as I know the insulation is 150mm celotex. They said it's then held in place with metal discs and the membrane put on top. I said it feels like it's plywood on top. They then changed their story and said its a thin layer of plywood on top. They told me at the time of installation that I had a 10 year warranty but when they inspected it the other day its only a 5 year warranty now. And typically my luck I can't find the paperwork. 

1 minute ago, saveasteading said:

Usual routine. Deny, then blame you, then next they will deny responsibility through time or bad luck. Then hide.

Perhaps genuinely ignorant. More likely incompetent and immoral.

Do you know what product it is? Perhaps the supplier can help to maintain their name.

I think they said it was 150mm celotex

It sounds like you have lucked out on two roofing companies.

Delaminated is absolute nonense. Unforfunately, many traditional flat roofers are absolutely committed to felt and/or GRP. This guy has not even recognised that this is an EPDM (rubber) roof.  So much for roofer #2

As for installer #1. It's really difficult to tell. Though recommended, you can loose-lay EPDM. The belt-and-braces approach is to glue down the EPDM. If they did put a "thin" layer of ply over it then walking on it probably isnt recommended. That said, as long as the EPDM isn't actually perforated, then you really shouldn't have any real worries

I would try and get a third roofer involved, preferably one who actually knows something about EPDM. They'll give you a quote for your new job and hopefully an opinion about your previous

Regards

Tet