Embarking on a self-build journey in Northern Ireland

Hughgo12

Hi,

Visited here a good few times over the past months, reading topics and finally joined.

Received planning approval for our self build last week and beginning to get the rest of the stuff in order. Mortgages, Building Control, Tendering etc etc

Located North Coast of N.Ireland

4 bedroom - 2100 sq ft

My background is that I’m a Chartered Building Surveyor MRICS, so while I don’t know everything I have experience in projects of various sizes, compliance, contracts,defects, design, QS, PM/CA.

Something that I’ve learned about myself is that I’m very good at making decisions/solving problems for clients but not so much for myself! 

Looking forward to asking advice and silly questions over the next few months.

• Like 2

You will probably find costing your build a lot easier and more accurate now Than in the previous two years

This time round it’s been difficult to budget ahead with what seems like daily price increases A lot of things have come down in price and lead times are back to normal 

Good luck with your build 

@Jilly thank you! I’m sure the sleepness nights are ahead! That’s totally it, my baby, my money and I’m the person that has to live with it.

@nod that’s what I’m hoping. The planning process being quite slow has let things fall into place in terms of cost, materials and hopefully interest rates. So it feels like good timing to press ahead 

Welcome. The north coast here is a beautiful area. I love ballycastle.

Being able to make decisions for clients will work exactly the same when it's your time to pick an outcome. Don't panic over the small stuff that will undoubtedly arise and always know sh1t happens so try to take it in your stride. 

Plus there ain't any silly questions just silly answers. 

Well done with the planning approval.

having just finished a new build, I can tell you it’s an interesting ride. Hopefully costs will have stabilised. You must shop around, it saved us thousands. Don’t be afraid to ask for a discount from local suppliers. Don’t leave sourcing stuff to the last minute, or your likely to have to pay more.

Start a cost spreadsheet now. Keep a close eye on costs from the start. Update it each week.