Filling a blocked off chimney with foam

Sealo0

Hi sorry I was trying to start a new topic 

anyway anyone any thoughts about this? 

fill a blocked chimney void with foam. 

I know the void is quite large but if you did in small doses it would certainly be filled, using small two tank system. 

But what are the consequences ? 

thanks in advance 

Mike

Why?

I filled one of ours with EPS beads. Seems to have worked quite well from an insulation perspective, (beads up to just above the loft line and then an air vent in the stack from there upwards) and if the worst came to the worst I could essentially pull the plug at the bottom and they'd all come out (soot covered all over the living room, mind). With foam you're never getting it out again. 

Dont do it! We are having problems with  chimney full of foam (existing when we got house). A chimney balloon is apparently the correct method. Foam just causes damp issues & is complete nightmare to remove! Any clever solutions 4 removing very gratefully received!!

• Like 1

On 26/09/2023 at 09:44, redherring said:

Dont do it! We are having problems with  chimney full of foam (existing when we got house). A chimney balloon is apparently the correct method. Foam just causes damp issues & is complete nightmare to remove! Any clever solutions 4 removing very gratefully received!!

Hi redherring

No help on getting that removed, sorry. 

l must admit that I was think that it would not help much! But I have the damp anyway, see my other thread. 

thanks for the reply though. 

Mike

So many reasons not to use expanding foam!

Won't ever come out again.

Gets into places it shouldn't. 

Will trap water coming down and it can't get out except through walls.

House can't breathe. A balloon will probably have some gaps.

I've just stuffed mineral wool up my unused chimney. Occasionally there will be drips come through, which I think demonstrates it is the right thing to do.

The wool will be sodden but will dry again, and can be changed.