LBC Bricks

Temp

Good video @Temp

It's not just LBC bricks that are the issue.

I've just had 4500 machine made bricks from a local maker, luckily  we're doing Old English Garden Bond so every forth course is headers.

What would have been a large pile scrap bricks due to shape, size and damage normally. We we're able to cut them all so we could still use them as headers in the bond.

For the cost of the things it is getting bad, plus you have to check every brick when you pick it up before laying it.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

Is this a problem with LBC across the board?

The only matching brick I could find for my extension is the antique rustic, which seems be a LBC only brick.

IMG_20240314_102751.jpg

46 minutes ago, NandM said:

Is this a problem with LBC across the board?

The only matching brick I could find for my extension is the antique rustic, which seems be a LBC only brick.

IMG_20240314_102751.jpg

Yes just a standard LBC Rustic your picture, a very close match and far superior is a Ibstock Tradesman Rustic Blend , a very good quality brick  

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, stu w said:

Yes just a standard LBC Rustic your picture, a very close match and far superior is a Ibstock Tradesman Rustic Blend , a very good quality brick  

These look great - I've ordered a sample...plus I would save almost £3K based on list price.

They are a good brick , water absorption is good vs LBC , and as you say cheaper 

There is a like for like picture in good light .

20240314_120553.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I got my samples and am impressed with the quality.  From your pic and my samples, you can see some wonky LBC bricks, whereas ibstock are uniform.

The big question for me is if I could live with the slight difference on the front of the house, or chance my luck and try LBC just for the front.

I'll definitely be getting the ibstock for the bulk of the extension.

IMG_20240323_142935.thumb.jpg.6ac1308bf19362d8938016ca969535d9.jpg

2 hours ago, NandM said:

I got my samples and am impressed with the quality.  From your pic and my samples, you can see some wonky LBC bricks, whereas ibstock are uniform.

The big question for me is if I could live with the slight difference on the front of the house, or chance my luck and try LBC just for the front.

I'll definitely be getting the ibstock for the bulk of the extension.

IMG_20240323_142935.thumb.jpg.6ac1308bf19362d8938016ca969535d9.jpg

I found with an extension they are ok as don't catch your eye, if you are toothing they will stick out like a sore thumb.

Good thing with the ibstock is very little waste , last time I used LBC around half were unusable 

I don't think the brickie will be doing any toothing, it makes more sense just to have a wall starter...but I need to check with him.

So much wastage for a more expensive brick (LBC) is concerning.