Wall Hung WC frame on timber studs.

Tony K

Hi all.

I am thinking of using a wall-hung WC, requiring a 'wall frame with cistern' kit, or a 'concealed cistern and frame' kit, like so:

Toilet systems In-Wall 890090020 Roca

The wall the w/c will hang from is an internal partition wall, made using metal studs and plasterboard (photo attached).

Plainly, the cistern frame cannot be attached to the metal studs, but various manufacturers tell me that if I build a reasonable timber frame behind it, the cistern frame unit can be attached to the timber and will then take the weight of the wall-hung w/c. Plus me sitting on it. Which is a fair bit of weight.

Has anyone any experience of fitting such a unit to a timber frame, and if so, is that actually sufficient for a wall hung w/c?

Thanks

IMG20230831123938 (1).jpg

Wall hung frames put most of the load into the floor, keeping a low pan and high frame attachment points onto the wall also reduces the lateral load imposed. On your wall, if you sit down heavily you may/will see some wall deflection but if is doable. Add a couple of stiff timbers top to bottom where the mountings are and the wall will be fine

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I was sceptical.

Can confirm is solid as they come if the frame is the depth of the cistern.

Drill a bunch of holes through the sides of the metal frame (with cistern out) and screw through into the stud with half a dozen shear screws each side. (the sort used for joist hangars etc) Some adhesive from frame to stud won't hurt.

Most load goes into floor.

The "peeling of the wall" load is all you're carrying, in pure shear, and can promise it'll go nowhere with a few screws let alone screws/glue.

Shear rated screws example:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Angle-Fitting-Screw-Connector-Screws/dp/B09DDC65PX

PXL_20230917_134318962.jpg

• Thanks 1